Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem/router Won't Connect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 irish38

irish38

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

I have Verizon dsl and the modem/router that they gave me (westell 327) finally bit the dust and I bought a netgear modem/router. I cannot connect to the internet with it. I can bring up their page to configure it and it tells me that it cannot find my DNS server address. I called Verizon about this and I was told because I didn't buy the modem through them, they would not help me. I had gotten my IP and DNS addresses myself by going to RUN>CMD and typing in ipconfig /all. And entered the info on the setup page and it still didn't work. I have reset the modem and unplugged and restarted everything but nothing works. I am not a total computer idiot but this thing is making me want to blow it up. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Here's some info:

OS - Windows XP
Modem/router - Netgear Wireless G Router w/ Built-In ADSL2+ Modem (DG834GT)
ISP - Verizon DSL

If any more info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Irish

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

Netgear is an excellent purchase and you shouldn't have a problem with sorting the connection yourself, provided your ISP is ok at giving you the details you need. With Netgear they tend to put the dsl connection stuff on one page like under setup > basic settings. That is where you put your ISP connection info.

dsl login and password which should be supplied by the ISP, maybe in your welcome information.

You might need to check with your ISP FAQ pages, but in the UK the Encapsulation is usually set to PPPoA for a standard DSL connection, in the states it might be PPPoE, so you might need to check that. Usually the Internet IP address and DNS Servers should be set to Get automatically from ISP. That should allow your router to connect to the internet and the Router Status page should reflect that. This is not the same info that you would get from ipconfig as ipconfig would usually deal with the Local Area Network not the Internet, unless you have a none standard configuration, which it doesn't sound like you do.

The next part you need to configure is the LAN IP setup under Advnaced, although if you are connected to the router configuration pages, it would probably mean you could leave it alone, but in there you can switch on/off DHCP as required, change the LAN IP address of the router if necessary and generally control any local computers connecting to the router, none of this should affect the router connecting to the Internet, but may stop your machines getting access to the net. This is the info that your machine will reflect when you use ipconfig.

If you want to use the wireless connectivity, I would set that up after that, but you have enough to get on with just now, trying to get connected to the internet. Let us all know how you get on.

#3 irish38

irish38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

Thanks G Bomb for your help!!

My ISP will not help me at all. I called them and they said because I did not buy the new modem from them, they cannot help me. I have called 3 times, talked to 3 different people. When I logged onto the setup page with netgear, it told me it could not get DNS automatically, to call my ISP. Which did no good.

With Verizon I do not have PPPoE or PPPoA, it is Dynamic.

Right now I am on my old modem. Can I get the info needed for DNS and IP addresses from the configuration page? I have to sit basically right under the modem to get a wireless signal but I still can log on and access the info.

#4 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

Sorry for not getting back right away, you should be able to get the info required from your old modem, not so sure about the Westell but it might be under account profile. Look for:

Account ID:
Account Password:

If you can get these then you on your way, just stick them into the netgear on the basic settings page and you should be laughing.

Also look in Connection Summary, you might find some more info in there.
Look for IP Network address and ATM Network Address

Login: Put in Your Account ID
Password: Put in your Account Password
Idle Timeout (In Minutes): Set to 0

Internet IP Address
Get Dynamically From ISP

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP

Click Apply down at the bottom and Test the connection.

You might also need to disconnect your old modem for a while to let the DNS Settings timeout, before your new modem will be allowed to connect to the Internet by Verizon.

#5 irish38

irish38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

I will disconnect the modem overnight and try your suggestion then.

Thank you for your help G Bomb.

#6 irish38

irish38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Well I have tried everything suggested so far and still will not work.

I am getting so frustrated with this and I even tried calling verizon and got the same canned answer, they won't help because I didn't get the new modem through them.

If there are any other things I can possibly try, I am willing to do them!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users