Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death; No Matter What.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Torres

Torres

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Yesterday, my HP tx1000 laptop gave me the blue screen. After rebooting in recovery mode a few times, it continued to do it. Since i didn't have too much important data on the computer, I restored it to factory settings. It was running well until it gave me the blue screen again saying the following,

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

irdl_not_less_or_equal

if this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again,
follow these steps.

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software
manufacturer for any windows updates.

if problem continues, disbale or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS meemory options such as caching or shadowing.
if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup otions and then select
safe mode.

Tech info:
*** STop: 0x0000000A (0x0000001c, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8f820615)

I sometimes get this message with the following info,
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

tech info:
*** STOP: 0x0000004E (0x0000009A, 0x0006AEFF, 0x00000002, 0x00000000)

I have also gotten a message that tells me to update my BIOS through my hardware vendor. the last time my laptop was working correctly, I downloaded the new BIOS update but couldn't install it because the computer crashed. I cannot access safe mode, normal windows, recovery mode or anything else without getting the blue screen.

I am not very familiar with this sort of stuff, so any help will be appreciated. Hopefully, this is enough info to get to the bottom of this. If not,let me know and I will post what might be needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:24 AM

Seems like a memory or driver issue.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

Are you sure the error code is "irdl_not_less_or_equal"

and not "irql_not_less_or_equal"?

I'm personally thinking graphics drivers, but it could be memory or bios related.
If you have already restore the PC to factory default, try doing it again and on first boot go straight into safe mode with networking, if you can get it running for long enough try downloading the latest drivers for your graphics and any bios updates and try installing these. Not sure if you'll be able to do this without getting BSOD tho.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 Torres

Torres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

Its irdl. I spent 4 hours on the phone with HP last night and no luck. I can't get into anything. I think it may have been the new anti-virus software (symantec) that I loaded on to it. I suggested that to the HP rep and he said that may be the case. Since I can't access anything, I am thinking about wiping the harddrive (via killdisk) and starting all over. There really isn't anything on the laptop that I can't live without. But i need to find out if this is a hardware issue or software issue. If its hardware, then I am out of luck. Thanks so much for the input. If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.

#5 Torres

Torres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Here is the order of incidents starting from two days ago:

The laptop was running fine, I was listening to music and planned on installing new Symantec AV. Began install process but had to delay because I wasn't connected to the internet. A few minutes later, BSOD. I restarted the computer and it ran fine for awhile. Then, I got the BSOD again. Entered windows recovery and started from a previous rocovery point. Again, after some time, BSOD. Finally, decided to recover my laptop to factory settings. Worked great. I had no problems until re-installed all my software, music, and the Symantec AV again. Then I got the BSOD again. I was able to download the BIOS update for my laptop and the last time I was able to enter windows normally, I installed the update. Immediately after the update, BSOD and now i can't access anything.

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:59 AM

By any chance do you or did your have Mcafee installed?
~ E-Mu ~

#7 Torres

Torres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

No. It was Norton. I had to unistall it before I put the Symantec on.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:43 AM

OK. Just a thought.

I've spent a bit of time looking around the internet and have not found a hardware related issues to the error code your having. TBH im not finding much about it altogether.

I would suggest doing a clean install of windows, if the recovery option is no longer working, and start a fresh.
What you can do after the install is test windows without installing any extra programs and this would show any hardware issues. Then i'd install Symantec Anti-virus again, and if you get BSOD then you'll know the issue lies with the software <-- this is where i believe the problem is.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help and give a 100% answer.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

No. It was Norton. I had to unistall it before I put the Symantec on.

You do know they are one in the Same right?

#10 guy2kool

guy2kool

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

Yep... turns out it's the RAM for me. I also have a TX1000. It blue screened inconsistently so I took out one of the sticks of ram (turns out to be rather loose) and bam, the computer works fine!!!

Sam

blue screen of death, bsod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users