Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry File Failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rogerkambah

rogerkambah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi All

My Toshiba M50 Satellite laptop has just given the message at startup "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate"

Then it completes a dump of physical memory and says to contact the system administrator.

Reading Windows article 307545 (Nov 12 2007) " How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" warns not to use the procedure described if the computer has a OEM-installed operating system.

I have a Toshiba recovery disc, however the instructions say that using this will reformat the hard disc and all data will be lost.

Please advise what I should do?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:56 AM

If you use the Recovery CD's then you will most likely lose all your data.

Try This,

If you have / can borrow a copy of XP, (this will need to be the same version to what you have, Home/Pro)
Go into BIOS and set first boot device to CD
Boot your system with the XP CD in the drive, let the system boot into the Setup. Once in the Setup, choose to run the Recovery Console. (press R)
You will be presented with a command prompt (like DOS)
Now, type in the following commands pressing Enter after each line.

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

Make sure you type these commands exactly as I have shown you.
Also, change the C in the commands to whatever your Windows XP drive letter is.
Now reboot the computer, if it doesn't boot, go back into the Recovery Console and run the following commands.

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\software C:\windows\tmp\software.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\software
copy C:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config\software

Now reboot again and hopefully your problem will be fixed.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 snacks

snacks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

I would like to revisit this problem.....

I had the same issue the OP had with the registry problem and I did as EMU said....here is my current problem....

I am able to start windows and use a few programs such as IE, Firefox, spyware doctor. However my Mircosoft Office programs will not work. I tried to re-download them off the disk and I keep getting an error that windows installer will not work.

I went to microsoft's website to download "windows installer" and it won't download. It seems as though if I can get past this then I can download all the programs I'm missing and I'll be back to normal. HELP!

ALSO...There are 3 users on this computer so when it start I choose myself....those other 2 don't work.

Edited by snacks, 12 November 2008 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users