Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Memory On An Acer Aspire E380 (mainboard: Em61sm/em61pm)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iberkner

iberkner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

Hi All,

Weird memory issue...

(1) Stock Acer Aspire E380.

(2) Motherboard (according to PC Wizard) is: EM61SM/EM61PM.

(3) Memory (according to PC Wizard) is:
  • General Information :
  • A0 (RAS 0) : 1024 (Single Bank)
  • A1 (RAS 2) : 1024 (Single Bank)
  • A2 : Empty
  • A3 : Empty
  • and
  • Memory Controller Information :
  • Memory Controller : Standard, DIMM
  • Number of connectors : 4
  • Supported Speed : 70ns, 60ns, 50ns
  • Supported Voltages : 2.9v
  • Error Detection Method : 64-bit ECC
  • Error Correction Capability : None
  • Current/Supported Interleave : 1-way/1-way
(4) The system came with 2GB stock cards (1GB each) and works fine.

(5) I wanted to upgrade to 3 or 4GB and bought some RAM from BestBuy that according to all the specs I could find would be compatible with this system.

(6) I put 2 more sticks in the open slots and turned the system on (I got a beep and nothing).

(7) I took 1 stick out, same results.

(8) Any combination of memory (old and new) wouldn't work.

(9) I bought two more 1GB modules of the same exact RAM and now installed 2,3 and 4GB to of the same RAM to see results. 2GB works fine. 3 and 4GB do not work (beep).

(10) Best I can tell is that the memory controller requires ECC memory to go above 2GB.

Any thoughts on this? Can someone confirm before I try and hunt down some ECC RAM to test this out?

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi iberkner,

Visit this link, i have already selected your PC. Have a look at the Manufacturer Specifications.

This should give you all the information you need and you can also buy the RAM from them aswell if needs be.

Also, Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 iberkner

iberkner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

Thanks, you didn't give me the link... also, I've tried 4 1GB modules of the same type and manufacturer and won't go above 2GB. PNY was the memory manufacturer I tried.

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

Sorry about the missing link, not sure how i managed to miss that. :thumbsup:

Here ya go.

Unsure as to why the extra modules arnt working as the site state the mobo can handle 4Gb in 4x 1Gb sticks.

"Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-4200, DDR2 PC2-8500 with a maximum of 1GB per slot"

Hopefully something on the site will be able to help you.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:46 AM

Soooo...what are the specs for the 4 modules of RAM you bought, please?

Louis

#6 iberkner

iberkner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Emu1616,

Thanks, I have been to several of the memory vendor sites, including crucial.com (and Acer) and they all say that this system should take a max of 4GB with 1GB in each of the four slots. Btw, the four slots are color coded (2 are orange (near processor) and back 2 are purple.

The memory that I purchased is PNY, DDR2, PC2-5300, 667 / 533 MHz / 400MHz, "OPTIMA Memory" <== this is just PNY's branding.

The main issue is that I can go to 1GB and 2GB with both my stock memory and the new memory. I just can't go above 2GB.

The second issue is that PC Wizard which tells you the system specs says that the memory controller is "Error Detection Method : 64-bit ECC" and I don't know if it matters. I just noticed that it says "Error Correction Capability:None" so I guess the ECC question is out.

Interestingly enough, I just got off the phone with PNY support (excellent, btw) and they said that actually, it is better to buy this sort of RAM in 2GB packs b/c that is more likely to work and that this type of RAM and board, should be installed in pairs.

I'm going to try some more module combinations...

Also,

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

Everything ive read says that your your mobo will handle up to 4GB (installed in pairs only), max 1GB per slot, DDR2 PC2-5300 supported ----------i cannot see why its not working. IM STUMPED!

Installing in pairs basically means sticking two in at a time so using 2 or 4 sticks is better than just 1 or 3 sticks.
You get better performance basically (not going into all the technical jargon here)

Just on the off chance, the mobo hasn't been changed has it?

Is it possible for you to get a serial number of it just so we can check that?

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users