Weird memory issue...
(1) Stock Acer Aspire E380.
(2) Motherboard (according to PC Wizard) is: EM61SM/EM61PM.
(3) Memory (according to PC Wizard) is:
- General Information :
- A0 (RAS 0) : 1024 (Single Bank)
- A1 (RAS 2) : 1024 (Single Bank)
- A2 : Empty
- A3 : Empty
- Memory Controller Information :
- Memory Controller : Standard, DIMM
- Number of connectors : 4
- Supported Speed : 70ns, 60ns, 50ns
- Supported Voltages : 2.9v
- Error Detection Method : 64-bit ECC
- Error Correction Capability : None
- Current/Supported Interleave : 1-way/1-way
(5) I wanted to upgrade to 3 or 4GB and bought some RAM from BestBuy that according to all the specs I could find would be compatible with this system.
(6) I put 2 more sticks in the open slots and turned the system on (I got a beep and nothing).
(7) I took 1 stick out, same results.
(8) Any combination of memory (old and new) wouldn't work.
(9) I bought two more 1GB modules of the same exact RAM and now installed 2,3 and 4GB to of the same RAM to see results. 2GB works fine. 3 and 4GB do not work (beep).
(10) Best I can tell is that the memory controller requires ECC memory to go above 2GB.
Any thoughts on this? Can someone confirm before I try and hunt down some ECC RAM to test this out?