Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Shuts Down Every 5 Minutes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ThaWhiteboy1691

ThaWhiteboy1691

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

My internet connection stops for about 5 minutes every 5 minutes.

I get told on my Windows Live Messenger Troubleshooter that it could be Firewall or Proxy issues. But I don't now how accurate that is. The CONNECTION itself is fine, but it tells me something about an issue with a port.

Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this and what I can change to get my internet to stay up?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors or warnings at the time your connection stops.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error or warning that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ThaWhiteboy1691

ThaWhiteboy1691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

That's under the description of one of the Warnings around the time of the problem. The problem happened more times than there are warnings under "System", but I'm not sure.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure what the problem is here but searching the internet turns up an issue with using P2P file sharing applications which make too many concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Otherwise it might be malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ThaWhiteboy1691

ThaWhiteboy1691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Oh, great. Unfortunately I've had malware problems in the past, but none that did anything to my computer like this. This is a different issue entirely.

Is it possible that something like my firewall is blocking access to programs through various ports? It seems to be an issue like that. I don't know anything about how to work my Firewall like that, though.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

Do you use P2P applications?

Apparently Windows XP has a built in limit of 10 concurrent TCP connections.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ThaWhiteboy1691

ThaWhiteboy1691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

I do not use P2P apps that I know of. Certainly not filesharing apps as that would suggest.

I just went to my connections and found my connection, firewalled, and clicked repair, even though I was already connected just fine. Just to see if it could fix my connection through it. And it said that windows disconnected my wireless network adapter and reconnected it.

I haven't had problems yet, but the real success would be if it's okay in another 5 minutes...

What exactly would reconnecting my wireless network adapter change?

#8 ThaWhiteboy1691

ThaWhiteboy1691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Reconnecting the wireless adapter only worked for a little bit. Still having trouble.

It has to be like it says, something with my ports. It's like one minute I have a connection with Internet Explorer, AIM, MSN, whatever, and then it stops for a little bit and comes back. It's so sporadic, I don't know. Is there something I can check in my firewall or port settings to help?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

What firewall are you using?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 ThaWhiteboy1691

ThaWhiteboy1691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

The standard Windows Firewall.

I had previously installed COMODO Firewall awhile back, but I deactivated it and deleted it from my system because it caused some problems itself. But now I'm using the Windows Firewall and I just reset it to default settings in light of this afternoon's issues in an attempt to do something.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

Try installing TCPView. It may give you an idea of what programs on your machine are connecting to the internet.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users