Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to play on-line game off-line

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:41 AM

Please be patient with this long-winded post...there is a question at the end.

Lego has a wonderful website for kids which includes some games (and yes, a lot of pitches for their products but no malware that I can see). One of the free games is called "JunkBot" an interactive game involving moving Lego blocks to create stairways, bridges, and other structures to allow a robot (Junkbot) to perform his task of consuming cans full of garbage. For a variety of reasons, I want my kids to be able to play this game off-line and I contacted Lego to try and either buy the game on CD or get permission to copy it. Lego wrote back to tell me that they merely “hosted” the game on their site and that I should contact the author GameLab for further information. Here is my e-mail to them, and their response (redacted to omit addresses):

Apologies for contacting you directly, however Lego advised that you might be able to help. I have twin boys, 8 years-old. Joey likes to shoot and destroy things and there are plenty of Galaga-type games to keep him busy. Eddie, however,  is a budding engineer; he likes to build things and figure out puzzles. Can't walk barefoot in our home due to the Lego blocks, Lincoln Logs, etc. Eddie discovered your  Junkbot games last year and is totally hooked on them...he never gets bored trying to figure out each level and then going back to improve things. I love the way it teaches him to focus on problems, organizing things, and working on his school work. My compliments to "the chef". Very cool.

Here's my problem: Our only computer is six years-old running W98SE. It is virus and malware free, but "cranky" when on-line, even using Firefox.  Worse, our dial-up connection is poor, and frequently "drops-out" which is very frustrating when playing Junkbot!

Here's my question: Are the two Junkbot games available on CD?  I'm hoping you'll tell me that the games are sold by someone and we'll use "chore
money" to pay for it. If not, would it be possible for me to somehow "copy" the game onto my hard drive only for use here? Thanks in advance, hoping someone will have time to respond with good news.

The response:

Thanks for your email and your kind words about our games. We're glad you and your family are enjoying them. The Junkbot games are only available online and cannot be purchased. Unfortunately, you cannot play them off-line as they will only play in a web browser.

In any case, it is likely if you upgrade your computer, you will be able to play the games without any trouble.

Thanks again!

-gameLab

Truthfully, my primary reason for wanting the game off-line is that I'm not yet ready to let my kids be on-line without constant supervision. Those of you who know me know I do not condone warez or piracy. So here's the question: Is there a (legal) way to get this game on my hard drive?
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

There are definitely ways to get this game saved and play if offline. Is there a legal way, unfortunately not as they state it is only available online.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:26 AM

Truthfully, my primary reason for wanting the game off-line is that I'm not yet ready to let my kids be on-line without constant supervision.

Just wanted to point out that it is to be admired, how you are doing all that you can in order to protect your children. If only more parents were like you. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:00 AM

Scarlett: Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I know I can't keep them protected forever, bad enough what they pick up at school and on what should be relatively safe television programs. I heard someone once describe the Internet as a jungle full of wondrous things, some quite poisonous. They'll find out soon enough about Paris Hilton and similar sludge, I just don't want to accelerate their "education" in that regard.

Grinler: Your comment is intriguing...(and never let it be said that I would not continue to beat a dead horse).

I had gotten some feedback (especially from the author/developer of the program (see link in my original post) that it was simply impossible to put (in my poor terms) an on-line browser-based game on my hard drive and play it off-line. Please help me understand this better: Is it possible (with GameLabs permission) for a klutz like me to "download" this game, or would Gamelabs actually have to cooperate/assist with the process (beyond simply saying it's OK to do it).
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:13 AM

Ok Twins,

You can definitely play Junkbot offline. I just did (the music is driving me nuts). The only problem is I am having trouble finding where it is playing from.

There are programs that can help you but...

Mums the word,

junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 27 April 2005 - 11:13 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

Is it possible (with GameLabs permission) for a klutz like me to "download" this game, or would Gamelabs actually have to cooperate/assist with the process (beyond simply saying it's OK to do it).

Put it this way, if you get permission from the developer to download it locally to your computer and use it offline I will tell you how :thumbsup:

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:59 PM

Grinler: Thanks. I e-mailed GameLabs the following:

To: "gameLab" <info@gmlb.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: The Junkbot games

Thank you for your prompt response to my previous inquiry. I wouldn't have said those kind words if I did not mean them. Junkbot is (to me) much more than a game in that it teaches logic, organizational skills, and perhaps most of all, patience & persistance. I'm pestering you again because Eddie is a special kid and we will not be able to afford a better computer for some time.
I am told that there is a way to play Junkbot off-line but won't attempt that without your blessings as it would set a bad example for my sons. I would gladly pay you for that approval or make a donation to a charity of your choice.

Thanks in advance for considering this request. Regards, Bill.

And here is their almost immediate response:

Bill,
Thanks for your email.
You have unfortunately been misinformed, as there is no way we know of to
play Junkbot offline.
-gameLab

I simply don't know if they are being "cute" about this or simply don't want to get into a legal swamp regarding permission to "copy". The game is freely available on-line with no ads, so I'm not smart enough to figure out where they are coming from. Have I hit the brick wall on this one?

#8 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:27 PM

LoL Looks to me as if they don't actually know that you can do this.

You have unfortunately been misinformed, as there is no way we know of to play Junkbot offline.

Hmm they totally stepped around your question.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:52 PM

Yeah I just tested it again..downloaded it and disconnected my computer. Worked fine

#10 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

I think twinsdad just got a clue. Lemme try what I probably should have tried in the first place. :thumbsup:

#11 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:17 PM

Dear Twins,

Did you get my reply?

Let me know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#12 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

:thumbsup: Eddie's gonna be a happy camper when he gets home from school today thanks to BC. Why couldn't those folks at GameLab simply tell me to go to the Junkbot site, hit Control+S, save the page somewhere, and then go off-line and play it all day long? Then again, why couldn't I have figured that out myself?
The good news is that the "chore money" I thought would go to Lego to buy the game will now go to BC to help offset the pixels I burned up. Thanks, you folks are the best.

#13 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Dear Twins,

Doing it that way means you can't close it and reopen it. At least in my experiments.

Is that right?

Let me know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:04 PM

Dont worry about the chore money...buy eddie a toy on BC :thumbsup:

#15 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

junkdk: No problem so far. I've shut down and restarted with no internet connection, double-click on the Junkbot desktop icon, and off it goes. I'll probably burn it to a CD for safekeeping, but I only wanted it off-line to keep the kids out of the swamp when I'm not close. Thanks for helping.

Grinler: Respectfully decline your kind offer...watch your mailbox. The kids are being taught to pay for things they get and if it wasn't for BC, they would not have JunkBot on a regular basis. Not to mention the BC bandwidth they burn-up playing in your games forum. Joey is now #2 scorer on A-Blast, dig_gem (currently #1) had better watch out :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users