Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Prevent Antivirus Xp Infection?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 redssss

redssss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

I recently got infected with Antivirus XP and sucessfully removed it (with Malwarebytes Anti-malware)

As far as I know, this rogue software was apparently installed when I clicked the 'X' to close a popup. I didn't see any kind of activeX prompt, I was using firefox, I have the latest windows updates installed constantly, I had McAfee enterprise running...yet I still got infected -- HOW?

Did McAfee not catch it because it's spyware and NOT a virus? What kind of AV shield will prevent this from infecting my other computers?

Also, does anybody know details on how to patch up the windows security vulnerability that allowed this to infect me? I wonder what the vulnerability is -- because I can envision other more malicious programs emerging that would do much greater harm than this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

Here's a little tip I picked up right here at BP. Don't click on the X to close a popup window. Instead, right click on the entry on the task bar and close it that way. It seems that these malware creators know that most folks click on the X so they've set up a booby trap.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

For more detail on how these types of infections install themselves, read Anatomy of a malware scam.

Many infections spread via Internet Relay Chat, by visiting underground web pages, adult, gaming or pirated software sites, and by using peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such sites may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The infection also spreads through emails containing links to websites that exploit your web browser’s security holes and by exploiting a vulnerability in exploiting a vulnerability in older versions of Sun Java.

The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users