Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Old C Drive Is Still There

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sluggo123

sluggo123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

One morning about 6 months ago my Notebook would not boot up past the Windows XP screen. I have Windows XP Home Edition on it . It was working fine when I shutdown the night before. After trying many remedies I decide to use my restore disks that came the the computer and format the disk and do a complete new re-install. Everything went as planned, one question that came up was do you want to save the old programs. I said yes, for I had no backups. Naturally I always intended to do some backups but---- never got a round tuit. (Someone once made me a round tuit but I lost it).

Strangely enough the new hard drive called itself the E: drive ( I looked for the old programs in the new E: HD but they were not there.). But everything worked OK as I re-installed many of the old programs and apps that I had on the hard drive before. One day while doing a Windows Explorer search I saw the OLD C:\ drive was there and all my stuff was there. I tried to run some of the programs and looked at the old data such as the Images that I thought was gone and all was there and everything worked. I brought up and saved the images that I wanted to the new hard drive and now I have two of those image, most large files.

I can only get to the old C:\ HD using Windows Explorer. HOW can I get it to come up and run again and get rid to the new E: drive so I can have all my 1 gig hard drive back again? Any ideas how I can once again get the C: drive to come up as the main drive on the Notebook?
sluggo123

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

try using Disk Management. (right click on My Computer > Management). The Restore CD partitoned your HD and installed the windows in that new partition because you have chosen to save the old files you have in C:\

#3 sluggo123

sluggo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

try using Disk Management. (right click on My Computer > Management). The Restore CD partitoned your HD and installed the windows in that new partition because you have chosen to save the old files you have in C:\

Thanks, when I go to Disk Management I see:
1. the volume as C: Status says Healthy(System) capacity = 63.36 gig Free Space = 14.51 gig
2. the volume as E: Status says Healthy(Boot) capacity = 30.79 g Free Space = 11.94 g

My question is how do I make C: say Healthy(Boot) and E: Healthy(System)?

Edited by sluggo123, 16 September 2008 - 07:55 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

Your procedures created the situation you have.

The fact that you used restore disks...rather than a MS XP CD...created the problem, based on the way that the restore disks are geared to operate.

I don't see a solution that doesn't entail moving all data from that hard drive...deleting the existing partitions...and starting anew.

The basic problem is that you created a new Windows install at E: and I am guessing that your old files are somewhere on the C: partition. That C: partition does not contain the Windows folder for your current operating system...which is why it is not designated the boot partition. It's still a system partition because it can be made bootable.

I don't know how your restore disks work...but they don't work in the same manner that an XP install CD would.

The only way (IMO) to make that C: partition a boot partition...probably involves deleting both current partitions and starting anew...or obtaining/borrowing an XP CD and attempting a repair install of XP on the C: partition.

Louis

#5 sluggo123

sluggo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

hamluis,
You are exactly right. I used the restore disks because the MS XP CD no longer comes with a new computer. All you get is restore disks. Drat! Now the latest computer using Vista comes with no restore disks. They are built onto the hard disk in a separate partition. What happens when the hard disk fails? As I understand the inforrmation that came with this computer, I can not even move or copy them to another DVD or CD. Wonder if I can image the whole thing, both partitons to an external HD?

At least I am able to remove the old XP C: drive on the Notebook to an external hard drive and will copy what I need off the E: drive onto a DVD or three. Then I will check on the instructions for formating the old HD and the re-install the C: drive on the Notebook. I hope it will be bootable. Have not done this before but I do have Acronis and I will try to get some information on how to use that to help with the over all procedure. Any ideas here would be helpful

Looks like the only solution is build your own computer and purchase MS OS CD.

Edited by sluggo123, 19 September 2008 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users