Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just A Thought

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

I noticed that a lot of Hijack logs come from new members.I would suggest to go to the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods on this site first and often. This will cut down on all these logs in the future. It will allow all the B/C people that have to deal with these logs more time to deal with each one and a little rest. This site and many others can help any body be more secure with there computer time. It's not hard to do, I did it. There is no such thing as 100% secure but you can put the odds on your side. Just a though.

Edited by garmanma, 15 September 2008 - 02:55 PM.
fixed link-mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

I'm getting Page Cannot Be Displayed when clicking on your link.

AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods (this link works)

Your suggestion sounds good in theory. The reality is new members find their way here and post the HJT logs AFTER they become infected. I agree that they will find information to keep their computers secure in the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum, but it won't help them until their systems are clean. The first priority is the get the systems clean, then point them to resources which will educate them so hopefully they won't get infected again.

Regarding the backlog of HJT logs posted, a lot these users don't realize that some infections can be cleaned using other methods, and a HJT log may not be needed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2008 - 01:14 PM.

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Regarding the backlog of HJT logs posted, a lot these users don't realize that some infections can be cleaned using other methods, and a HJT log may not be needed.

I think this statement is key. When I got here through HJT's own referral site I went straight for Posting a log but I realised (and now direct people to do the same) that the first port of call should be Am I Infected. It's populated by experienced BCers and answers come much quicker than from the Log forum.

Perhaps BC's welcoming page should make those options more obvious to newcomers. It might bring the backlog down a little.

Edited by m0le, 15 September 2008 - 02:04 PM.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

I used to advise posters to run HJT and post the log.
But after a while, I realized my suggestion might contribute to the backlog and some of those logs may not be necessary. Since I am NOT a security expert, now I direct them to AM I INFECTED? so those with more knowledge than I have can guide them through the clean-up process.

Thank you m0le for mentioning Am I Infected? as the first stop.
It didn't occur to me to mention that forum in my post above.
Got something weighing heavy on my mind today so I might not be thinking clearly at the moment.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

That's understandable Queen-Evie.

My thoughts are with you :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE