Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Repair / Safemode In Limbo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kwiz

Kwiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

All,

I have been having trouble with my computer recently. A combination of some RAM going bad and viruses.

While running in safe mode (MSCONFIG, checked /SAFEMODE on boot.ini tab) and using Anti Virus and Spyware remover software, the system crashed in the middle of an attempted repair. After that booting the PC produced a message saying the windows installation was corrupt and could be repaired using the original installation disc. I figured out some RAM was bad by booting with an Ubuntu boot disc and performing a memory check. I am guessing the bad RAM caused the system to crash.

I pull the installation disc out of the filing cabinet, boot from the CD/DVD drive, and begin the repair. All goes swimmingly until the repair needs to reboot the system so the setup can continue. The system reboots, starts Windows XP in safemode, tries to continue the repair/setup and pops up a modal dialog stating setup cannot run in safemode, and the system will reboot. All I can do is click "OK" in the dialog, and immediately the reboot happens.

The PC reboots, windows starts in safemode, tries to continue setup, has to reboot, etc...

I am not sure how to get out of this cycle. Ideally I would like to restart NOT in safemode, but I do not get a chance to change the setting back once windows start. I do not know of a way, prior to windows starting to force normal mode.

I am about to try setting bios again to boot using the CD/DVD, but instead of running a repair, do a complete re-install. I would prefer to just get the repair working so I not do have to spend hours reinstalling all my software.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

All,

Ideally I would like to restart NOT in safemode, but I do not get a chance to change the setting back once windows start. I do not know of a way, prior to windows starting to force normal mode.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Kevin

You have to replace the boot.ini file from Recovery Console:http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...pairbootini.htm

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Well...do you have an actual MS XP CD?

Louis

#4 Kwiz

Kwiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

hamluis,

Yes I do have an actual MS XP installation CD

farbar,

Thanks for the link. bootcfg /Rebuild worked for me. That got me back to my repair setup.

Thanks,
Kevin

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

Glad it is worked out Kevin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic