Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp Pro Won't Boot Into Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Poyzen

Poyzen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here with some expertise will be able to help me with this problem, because I'm flat out of ideas. It's a fairly long story, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

I have a Shuttle SN68PT G6. On Friday last week my AV software reported that I had the Virtumonde virus. I finally managed to get that sorted by reading information in Bleeping Computers "Am I infected?" forum, but I'd tried to remove the virus manually prior to that by following online guides and messing around in my registry. Probably not the brightest idea I've ever had. Anyway, after using MBAM to remove Virtumonde, my AV software (Avira) reported that I had loads more viruses which it couldn't get rid of. On top of that, Windows Update refused to work too. I figured that since most of my data was backed up elsewhere on my network, I could just format my HD, reinstall Windows and carry on with a nice, clean PC.

That's where the problems started. After formatting the drive, I inserted the XP disc and booted from it. Nice blue screen, lots of drivers being loaded etc, looking good, then it says "Starting Windows" at the bottom of the loading screen. My screen goes black. CD-ROM spins for a little longer, then stops. PC has no activity at all. I tried it several times, exactly the same result.

To check the HD, I put it into my husband's PC. It works perfectly, Windows installs without a hitch. I put the drive back into my own machine. System refuses to boot into normal mode, I get Stop: 0x0000007E. I can get into Safe Mode, but nothing else.

I tried installing the latest Shuttle drivers. Hard drive space isn't a problem, it's a 1TB drive and it's been formatted. I then couldn't get into Safe Mode either. I concluded that the hard drive was duff. I tried to install Windows onto another new hard drive. It won't work. Again, installed on husbands PC, but won't start up on mine, same error. So I took my daughter's hard drive (existing XP pro installation) and plugged that in. Same problem, won't boot, hello safe mode.

I can only conclude that it's hardware or driver related, but I'm completely out of ideas. I've swapped out the DVD Drive, the memory, the hard drive, anything I can think of for existing known good (except the CPU, no spare), and I've hit a brick wall. The only thing left in my head now is flashing the BIOS (eek!) or replacing the mobo.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

When you install XP do you have a driver disk for your sata controller?

#3 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

I have the original Shuttle disc with the mainboard software, but it doesn't mention a specific SATA driver on it. It's chipset, sound, ethernet, bluetooth and wireless LAN drivers. I didn't have this problem when I bought the PC and installed Windows the first time around though, and I only had the same disc then.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

Well usually the chipset drivers include the SATA Drivers. Is there any mention for a floppy disk driver creator?

#5 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

No, sorry. Disc contains:

NVIDIA Chipset Driver
NVIDIA VGA Driver
High Definition Audio Driver
Giga LAN driver
Fingerprint Recognition Driver
Bluetooth Driver
Wireless LAN driver
XPC Tools

That's all. XPC tools is for overclocking, I think. I'd settle for being able to clock at a normal speed at the moment. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just checked disc ReadMe. Chipset driver includes IDE SataRAID Driver (v10.1.0.9) WHQL and IDE SataIDE Driver (v10.1.0.9) WHQL

Edited by Poyzen, 15 September 2008 - 12:19 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

#7 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks. I already picked up that URL when I googled the stop error. The conclusions I drew were:

•If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after the Setup program is finished, the computer may not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows.
A formatted 1TB HD should be enough.

• If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows.
It wasn't incompatible before. I've been running WinXP on this machine for 5 months. Can my BIOS have been corrupted by one of the viruses my AV software reported?

• Incompatible video adapter drivers.
I've tried the drivers supplied, and also downloaded the latest ones from Shuttle.

• A damaged device driver or system service.
Since it's a fresh install, I can't see that it's a system service. And the drivers (other than the video drivers) are all from Windows itself so far. I've not installed any others.

• If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program.
I haven't got a clue what that means - assume it's something to do with VNC programs or something similar? Either way, I don't have anything like that on the HD, there's nothing on there but Windows.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

I just downloaded the chipset drivers and I noticed there is an IDE folder. Here is what you do:

1) Create a folder with WinXP and put the following files in it: disk1, ideoi.dll, nvata.cat, nvgts.inf, nvgts.sys in it.

2) move the txtsetup.oem file outside the WinXP folder and put it on a floppy disk.

3) Hit F6 during install and insert the floppy disk.

#9 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

Can this be done using a CD instead? I don't think we've got a floppy drive in the house.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Need a floppy drive.

#11 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

OK. That's me going digging through all the computer bits in the shed then. Knowing my luck, I'll find a drive and no disks anywhere. I'll let you know how I go on.

#12 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

Just looked at these files, I can't find 'disk 1' or 'ideoi.dll'. All the others are there. There's actually multiple copies of them. I assume I'm using the .cat, .inf and.sys files from the 'sata_ide' folder, as opposed to the 'sata_raid' folder? I'm not running a raid set-up here.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

Yeah the sata_ide folder. You may want to get the driver pack from shuttle.

#14 Poyzen

Poyzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work. I managed to find an old floppy drive and disk, copied the files over, then booted from XP disk to do a new install. Tapped F6 constantly, but nothing happened. It actually stated on screen: "Press F6 if you want to install third party SCSI or RAID drivers", and I was hitting F6 when that came up, but it still ignored the key presses and moved onto "Press F2 for Automated System Recovery".

I'm guessing that the installation recognises that I don't have a SCSI interface or a RAID set up?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

Itll ask you after everything is loaded before the starting windows screen comes up to insert the floppy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users