Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Does This Combo Sound For Security

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Abbynormal

Abbynormal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

On both my laptop and desktop I am running Comodo Firewall Pro, Threatfire, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008. I was also running Spybot but the tea timer was using a lot of my resources and I seemed to have some possible conflicts running it with the above so i uninstalled it. Will this combination give me good all around security coverage? Trying to do this with freeware and I am trying to find best options using least computer resources. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Ad Aware isn't as good as it was a few years ago. Replace it with Super Anti Spyware.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 soseberg

soseberg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:03 AM

i read the firewall tutorial from 2004 that must be pre-comodo firewall...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/

a friend of mine highly recommends comodo, but she primarily uses internet explore since she has had problems with firefox. i like firefox since in my experience IE is very susceptible to problems (& my IE version does not have tabbed browsing - the only thing i like better about IE w/tabbed browsing is opening a link in a new tab opens right next to the host tab, rather than at the end of all the tabs)

anyHOO - i am looking for opinions on comodo, firefox and/or other SW firewalls. anyone know of a comparison of the available free firewalls?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

Personal Firewall Ratings & Scores
Personal Firewall Reviews
Comodo's Firewall

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of the firewall software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Then you have to consider the features offered by each firewall, the amount of resources utilized and how it may affect system performance.

Choosing a firewall is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability/experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.

#6 soseberg

soseberg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

very very kewl. thx soooo much for the info, exactly what I was looking for =) now I have some info/data to make a better decision rather than choosing blind.
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by soseberg, 24 September 2008 - 12:16 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

You're welcome.

#8 soseberg

soseberg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

another thought...does anyone know if my Linksys wireless G router will also function as HW firewall? if so, do I need to configure it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users