Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering From Antivirus Xp 2008

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmmongo

mmmongo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Last week I was infected with antivirus xp 2008. All the recovery points I had were erased. I could not navigate correctly on the web, or get my networking in safe mode to work. I could run in safe mode. I downloaded Malware onto a disk, and ran it in safe mode with no updates. This got my machine running, slowly, but well enough to update malware and run it again. Since then I have run the antivirus software I had installed before this happened, AVG and Spybot. I run registry mechanic regularly during this process. I ran Qwest Quickcare and found more malicious files to delete, as well as windows live care. I was looking for some software to check my windows registry, when I ran into this sight.

The problems that remain:
1. No networking. I can connect to the internet, browse, get email etc., but not my LAN, including my printer. I have run the wizard etc. to no avail.
2. My desktop apparance only runs in windows classic, no other option is available. The theme always to defaults to "modified theme" windows classic is there, and others, but it always resets to modified.
3. I cannot change windows automatic update to on. In my computer - properties - automatic updates, everything is grayed out.
4. Slow. Boot up takes twice as long as before. Moving and renaming files is rediculous, I get (not responding) prompts on a regular basis, even though it always starts working again.

I am wondering if there is a way to check all the files in Windows to see if I lost some, or if they are hiding, etc. I am hoping that this might get my desktop and networking back.

Windows XP home service pack 3
Intel Q6600 2.4 HGz with 2 G RAM dual NVIDIA Geoforce 8600 GT

Thank you in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xblade12100

Xblade12100

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

im just helping for now,

have you used this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re...tivirus-xp-2008

its a guide to COMPLETLY remove the anivirus xp 2008

for #4. have u removed any stuff that is a big memory hog, anyways try to use this

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

cc cleaner removes anything that might be tacking memory,

for #1 is LAN the only thing you have, try getting driver updates to see if that works

2.i dont know where but try to get a copy of the normal XP theme from google and use that

3. try to update your anti-virus ect and scan, u can get new updates by transfering by a cd,

if that dosnt work than i hope someone comes soon for u, i feal your pain

-xblade12100- :thumbsup:

#3 mmmongo

mmmongo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the advice Xblade. I will follow all intructions over the next couple of days and let you know how it comes out.

#4 Xblade12100

Xblade12100

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

1 thing, if the xp theme trick doesnt work, search how to get your xp theme back on google ect it might be caused when the anti-virus 2008 made changes in the regestry if not all works let me know so this problem can be solved :D

#5 Xblade12100

Xblade12100

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

and also go here if You think more help, if you think its in your regestry

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

than put a post in the hijackthis fourms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users