Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Sata Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johno422

johno422

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

Right i have a problem with my hard discs, at first i had an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 2x 250GB Maxtor Diamondrive Hard Discs in Non-Raid when i noticed a few clicking noises and then the computer wouldn't boot so i put them in a hard drive caddy and it worked fine so i thought it must be something to do with the SATA ports on my motherboard.

So i upgraded my whole pc got an Intel DDR3 setup with a P5K3-Deluxe Mobo with 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ's (Non-raid) and now wahlah i have the problem again. I read a few forums online and people said the Samsung F1s have failed people within months. One of them has already died and the other is clicking bad so i backed all the data up. I re-formatted my Maxtor hard drives and put them in and everything has been working fine until 2 months later i get Blue screen of deaths even before it boots into windows. I'm either thinking Asus are crap with SATA or something else could be wrong, someone even suggested my power supply which is a Coolermaster Realpower Pro 1KW (supposed to be one of the best power supplys when i bought it) any help would be very much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Sounds like your drives have failed which happens, but 2 batches is bad luck. Send them back and wait for the new ones to return.

#3 johno422

johno422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

alrite cheers for the info, I think i'm gonna buy a seagate drive as their reputation is very good and has a 5 year warrenty

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

FWIW: Hard-drive clicking...also occurs when the connections are not tight or are absent. I think it's worth checking.

I've experienced it on my systems...every time it's me, not the drive.

If you suspect the drives, you really need to run the appropriate Samsung diagnostic on them. That's a prerequisite anyway any time a user attempts to obtain a RMA for a drive.

Louis

#5 ACS Data Recovery

ACS Data Recovery

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

That is a strange problem, and I would have to look at the power supply if you had 3 drives fail within a relatively short amount of time. I know that someone already recommended that to you, but unless you have extraordinarily bad luck, that is really the only common denominator that would effect 3 different hard drives if I'm reading your post correctly. Occasionally we see drives that have heads which have degraded in functionality or damaged pre-amps due to voltage irregularities. Most of these cases were traced back to power supply problems.

Greg

Edited by ACS Data Recovery, 16 September 2008 - 02:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users