Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 osospanky

osospanky

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:51 AM

Hi All,

I've upgraded to naked dsl 2+ and am having no end of troubs with the ethernet connection.

The old modem i had works just fine on a usb connection but whenever I try to connect a 4 port router with the ethernet connection the pc freezes and howls the minute that IE is open. As long as IE isn't open the pc runs fine. I can ping the routers addy but cant ping the web. AT no point is the PPP light coming on. I have tried the help desk connected to the routers brand and all they suggested was trying another pc.

For interests sake, not sure if its the issue, I did change isps and had uninstalled previous isps software. It's a HP desktop and running XP Home.

Could this possibly be a prob with the nic hardware?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Cheers,

Spanky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

Did your new ISP come with any software to install?

#3 osospanky

osospanky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:06 AM

nahh it didn't

I bought the router from a different source. But one that was approved by my isp. But because its not theirs they wont support it.

Will teach me to be cheap... :thumbsup:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

Seems like you need to enter your ISP's DNS addresses into your network card TCP/IP Properties.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

My experience is that the 2-way modems (USB/ethernet) generally come with USB drivers which need to be installed for the USB connection to work.

On some models, these drivers must be uninstalled when using the modem with an ethernet function.

It would not hurt to go online and look up the support provided (instructions, drivers) for your modem by the manufacturer.

Louis

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

Hi All,

I've upgraded to naked dsl 2+ and am having no end of troubs with the ethernet connection.

The old modem i had works just fine on a usb connection but whenever I try to connect a 4 port router with the ethernet connection the pc freezes and howls the minute that IE is open. As long as IE isn't open the pc runs fine. I can ping the routers addy but cant ping the web. AT no point is the PPP light coming on. I have tried the help desk connected to the routers brand and all they suggested was trying another pc.

For interests sake, not sure if its the issue, I did change isps and had uninstalled previous isps software. It's a HP desktop and running XP Home.

Could this possibly be a prob with the nic hardware?

Bypass the router and connect to the xDSL modem using ethernet. Configure username and password for PPPoE if required.
If this works correctly, great. If not try a new NIC in the PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users