Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winlogon.exe Using 50% Of Cpu Resources

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cray.claw

cray.claw

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:45 AM

Hi there,

I have a pc with win xp pro sp2.

Winlogon.exe has been doing consuming 50% of system resources for some months now and no-one thus far has been able to fix it. It started doing this after picking up a virus but I don't now remember which one it was.

I have vet anti-virus installed and they assure me my system is clean. I have also used other freeware programs to scan for viruses and malware; nothing has been found.

I have been advised to copy and paste a winlogon.exe file from another computer over my own but I'm not sure how good this advice is because another tech has advised not to do this. :thumbsup:

Please, can someone give me some safe options that will rid me of this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

You may have a keylogger installed which hooks to Winlogon.exe. I would post in the HJT Log so that the experts here at BC can sort you out.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

Try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hello cray.claw,

I deleted your duplicate topic in the HiJack This forum. Topics there have certain requirements concerning what to do before posting there and what to post. Also, posting more than one topic on the same issue can confuse things for everyone.

Please follow budapest's advice and let us know what the results were in a reply to this topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

I read through the Guide Overview on how to use the System File Checker and performed what I understood to be the task.

The scan started and after some time it asked me to insert the XP instalation CD. This is an IBM PC with an OEM installed version so no CD available.

The only options were to either insert the installation CD or cancel out of the scan so I cancelled out. I then updated my OS software as suggested and now have SP3 installed. This has done nothing to fix the problem.

I am a bit of a novice at this stuff so perhaps I have done something incorrectly. Any suggestions??

quote name='usasma' date='Feb 2 2006, 05:35 PM' post='231230']

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to use the System File Checker (SFC) to examine and repair corrupt operating system files.

In doing this, the SFC tool may replace some of your files that were updated by Windows Update. The only way to check this (and to update any of the files) is by visiting Windows Update and allowing it to check your system for updates and update as needed.

References

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Microsoft Windows XP - Repair overview (Link doesn't work as of 06 Aug 2008)

This link discusses the repair options: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...rt/nostart.mspx

Instructions
  • Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

• Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). The press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

• The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

• In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

• If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.
[/quote]

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

This thread ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ ) has additional information on how to modify the system so that it will recognize other sources for the installation CD files. And, just added, was an explanation by Billy O'Neal on how to modify it to recognize SP3 files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

This thread ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ ) has additional information on how to modify the system so that it will recognize other sources for the installation CD files. And, just added, was an explanation by Billy O'Neal on how to modify it to recognize SP3 files.

Thanks for the follow up usasma.

I did modify the system accordingly but I am still asked to insert the XP CD.

I don't have a hidden partitian. The registery source path had "C:" entered and I amended this to "C:\".

Is there anything else that I can do?

#8 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Just thought I would push this back up the list in the hope that I might get some suggestions as to how to fix this problem.

Forgot to mention earlier that I did also do as Billy O'Neal suggested but continue to be asked for a cd.

#9 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

This may help. Google to winlogon.exe error for more solutions.
http://www.file.net/process/winlogon.exe.html

#10 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Actually ca antivirus (vet) can cause this problem, from memory you have to exclude some types of files (.msi or .msp i think) to stop it from occuring. There is a notification somewhere on the ca site, ill see if i can dig it up.

Try this
1. "Open Security Center"
2. "Open Advance Settings"
3. Click on the "Options" button
4. Click on the "Modify" link under the Exclusions list and then "Add" *.msi and *.msp to the list and click OK

Edited by Charybdis, 21 September 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#11 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

This may help. Google to winlogon.exe error for more solutions.
http://www.file.net/process/winlogon.exe.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I had been trough this alread and found that my winlogon.exe is located where it should be and is 496kb in size. I have another pc in the house with xp pro and without this problem and it too is that exact same size.

Actually ca antivirus (vet) can cause this problem, from memory you have to exclude some types of files (.msi or .msp i think) to stop it from occuring. There is a notification somewhere on the ca site, ill see if i can dig it up.

Try this
1. "Open Security Center"
2. "Open Advance Settings"
3. Click on the "Options" button
4. Click on the "Modify" link under the Exclusions list and then "Add" *.msi and *.msp to the list and click OK

Thanks also for this suggestion. Tried this and no change

Never had such a stubborn problem. Hope someone out there has the answer before I toss this 'bleeping computer' out the window. :thumbsup:

#12 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

ok next i would try stopping a few tasks from starting
click start then run
type
msconfig
and hit ok
then click on the startup tab
then the disable all button
then ok and restart the pc
if that doesnt change anything start ms config again
click on services tab
click on hide all microsof services
then disable all
then ok and restart the pc

if that doesnt stop the issue when you get back into windows click start and then run
type
eventvwr.msc
then click ok and check the system and application logs for errors.

#13 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

This problem has been sorted. It was identified as some Malware and rectified.

More detail here: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16296

Thanks to those who tried to help out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users