Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Questions - Part Ii

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi Louis

I have some more questions about hard drives, reinstalling windows etc.

I have three partitions on my HD -
C:( Capacity: 25gb | Free: 11gb | Used: 13gb
D: Capacity: 25gb | Free:19gb | Used: 6gb &
PQSERVE 4gb(this ones hidden).
  • Can I readjust the size of the C: & D: partitions using a program such as Acronis Disk Director?

• If I get Infected with malware and I was to restore my system from a user backup image (which I think is store on D:) would that wipe the C: Drive and get rid of the malware ( Ive used this method before & it seems to have worked - but Ive never been a 100%)?
    Or would I have to do a full factory restore, which I have done also both internally from D:/ and externally from a Backup CD to get rid of any infection.

When I bought this computer windows was already pre installed so I made what I think is a Window XP Disc by burning the i386 Folder and a bootable DOS based iso image to CD.
  • If I was to run this CD via Acer's eRecovery Utility would this reinstall windows & would my D: Drive and PQSERVICE remain intact?

However while my computer has windows pre installed I did receive a back up CD containing the files pictured here:

Attached File  ACER_BACKUP1.jpg   87.77KB   15 downloads
  • Will this do the same as what is mentioned above but also install Acer's Programs and Utilities?

I hope there isn't to many questions there but I am always keen to learn.

Thank You in advance

Edited by manicd, 15 September 2008 - 07:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Can I readjust the size of the C: & D: partitions using a program such as Acronis Disk Director?

Yes

Will this do the same as what is mentioned above but also install Acer's Programs and Utilities?

The recovery CD from Acer will restore the computer to the day it was shipped from the factory, with all of Acer's programs included
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 manicd

manicd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi garmanma and thanks for the info :thumbsup:

How about these though?

If I get Infected with malware and I was to restore my system from a user backup image (which I think is store on D:) would that wipe the C: Drive and get rid of the malware ( Ive used this method before & it seems to have worked - but Ive never been a 100%)?
Or would I have to do a full factory restore, which I have done also both internally from D:/ and externally from a Backup CD to get rid of any infection.

# When I bought this computer windows was already pre installed so I made what I think is a Window XP Disc by burning the i386 Folder and a bootable DOS based iso image to CD.
# If I was to run this CD via Acer's eRecovery Utility would this reinstall windows & would my D: Drive and PQSERVICE remain intact?

Kind Regards

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Apologies...I thought that I answered a few hours ago...but my post did not go through.

Anyway, I can't tell you much about any disks which you may have created...I do know there's only 1 test for anything recorded and that's whether it functions as you think it should...when you try to run it.

A lot persons who think they have good backups...don't because they don't test them after creating them.

Your words about malware and restoring...it all sounds like the same thing to me. I don't have any systems with restore disks, partitions, etc. But it seems to me that 99 ways of doing the same thing created by the same company/developer...still yields the same net result.

If you discern a difference when you do any of these things, then I suppose a difference exists...it just doesn't sound like there is any difference to me.

I know there is a difference between restoring a disk image created by Acronis software...and restoring using software which came on a boxmaker system.

a. Restoration/recovery using boxmaker software should take the system back to conditions existing when the system was purchased. O/S, programs, additional junk...it will all be there.

b. Restoring a disk image created by Acronis will reflect all data existing at the moment of creation, which means that it will be more current than a new system and it may also contain damaged files, malware, etc...anything which was on the system at the time the image was created.

In both cases, I believe the previously existing partition (and all its contents) will be eliminated or a new partition will be created.

The best strategy for dealing with malware...make sure that you have adequate defense programs installed and updated...and practice wise, safe computing.

I previously have indicated that I cannot answer questions about software which I don't have and have not used...that still is the way that I function.

Louis

#5 manicd

manicd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi Louis, hope you are well.

Thanks for the reassurance and information you have provided me with. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Dan

Edited by manicd, 15 September 2008 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users