Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook Hangs On Start Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 samoyed

samoyed

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:08 AM

Hi,

I have been encountering this problem everyday.

I turn on the Notebook, it says WINDOWS IS STARTING on a blue screen and then hangs.

I have no choice but to pull the power cable and re-start the Notebook.

Can someone kindly advise what is he problem I am facing and what is the solution.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If so, run Check-Disk from Safe Mode.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hi Budapest,

I have perform the error checking.

Now what do I do?
Is there a log where I can refer to so I know what went wrong?

Thank You.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

Once you have restarted and CHKDSK has carried out the surface scan, Windows will boot normally. For a log of the results, right-click 'my computer' and select 'manage,' then open up 'event viewer\applications'.

Look for the most recent event from the 'winlogon' source and double click it to open the log. All the details about the operation CHKDSK just performed, including any bad sectors found, will be in here.

Louis

#5 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:23 AM

Hi hamluis,

Thanks.
Erm, I found these errors:

1) Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

2) Faulting application teatimer.exe, version 1.4.0.2, faulting module teatimer.exe, version 1.4.0.2, fault address 0x00003aaa.

3) Hanging application TeaTimer.exe, version 1.4.0.2, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

What do I do now?

Thanks.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

Are you still having the problem where it hangs at start-up?

teatimer is associated with Spybot. Maybe you could uninstall Spybot to see if it is the problem
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hi Budapest,

So far I have not experience the problem where it hangs at start-up.

I might uninstall Spybot. Possibly the latest version is unsuitable.

Thank you.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

The reason I recommended running check-disk is that it often can solve boot problems. So maybe it managed to solve yours. Let us know if you have any more problems.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users