Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Or Corrupt \windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cajiggle

cajiggle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

I have XP and when I re-started the computer , I got the error message:

windows could not start because the follwing file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Unfortunatley, me and my dad cannot find the original disc for our XP.

What are my options? Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:47 PM

See the following Microsoft Page.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

If you don't have an XP CD, download the following file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Then burn this file to a CD as an ISO. If you don't know what I mean by this please post back and I'll give more instructions.

Use this CD to boot your computer into the Recovery Console, where you can then follow the fix given in the Microsoft link above.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cajiggle

cajiggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

How do you burn the file to the CD as an ISO?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:03 AM

Download and install the freeware version of DeepBurner (click where it says "Download" under "DeepBurner Free").

Put a blank CD in the drive, start DeepBurner and select "Burn ISO Image" at the prompt. Where it says "Image File", select the RC.iso file you previously downloaded. Then click the "Burn ISO" button at the bottom right of the window.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cajiggle

cajiggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

I have burned the file to a CD and went to the link you provided. I inserted the disc and rebooted my computer and did the following as the Microsoft Support site said:

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

However, when I do this, I get the following:

Floppy Diskette
Seek Failure
Drive 1 not found:
Serial ATA, SATA-2

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:44 AM

You may need to change some settings in the BIOS to ensure that your computer will boot from a CD.

What is the make and model of you computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 cajiggle

cajiggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:55 AM

The model is a Dell Dimension E310

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users