Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner Sata To Ide

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

hi, i'm trying to find the most updated driver for my IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to get my new DVD burner working. I've tried looking on the Dell site and couldn't find one. It is a SATA optical drive that I'm connecting to an IDE connection througha SATA to IDE converter. One more thing. My BIOS and Windows both read the DVD drive but when I try to play a CD or DVD, it freezes up on me. So, I'm assuming it's a IDE driver issue.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Dell Dimension 4500
Motherboard: Intel Pendleton 2 D845EPT2
Chipset: Intel Brookdale i845E
DVD burner: LITE-ON 20x DVDRW SATA Litescribe Black OEM

Edited by SpitfireTK, 14 September 2008 - 11:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

I can say with almost, almost absolute certainty, it is your SATA-IDE converter that is the problem. Most of the converters work OK (not always) with hard drives but have problems (lockups/freezes) with optical drives. You likely won't find any updated IDE drivers as there aren't any.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

Didn't the converter card come with a CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Unfortunately, the converter did not come with any software. It wasn't detected as 'new hardware' and I don't think I saw it under device manager. I guess I assumed it was a stand alone device to change the wiring type. Do you think I would need some drivers for it? Thanks!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

I would say yes. Do you have a make and model number?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 SpitfireTK

SpitfireTK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

PATA TO SATA Adapter Converter
Part #: 021304-01050 Model: LK-13415

this isn't where i got it from... but it's the same adapter down to the packaging
http://www.wowparts.com/store/products/021304-01050.html

what would that adapter be under in device manager?
thanks!

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

I've never seen one of those. It says no driver needed. Looks like a lot of bulk to have hanging off the back of the drive.
I'd go with something more reliable like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815113004
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users