Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Install Led To System Crash

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hello

I am currently running a copied version of Windows XP (I know, I know... but im broke!)... I installed a windows update for internet explorer 7, and now my computer will not boot up... it gets to the windows welcome screen, and then a box appears saying that it is loading my personalized settings for internet explorer 7, but it just stays there... the keyboard is not frozen (i.e. i can still get to task manager), but the CPU busy light on the computer is not lit up... and nothing happens.

so i figured i would just uninstall internet explorer 7 through safe mode, or just use system restore... so i restarted the computer...

the really strange thing is that i cannot get into safe mode... if i restart the computer, then hit f5 to get to the safe mode option screen, the keyboard goes "dead"... im then unable to select any of the boot modes... and the num lock light goes off... this happens everytime... ive never heard of a computer being unable to get into safe mode before

any ideas?? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

Is your keyboard a usb connection?
If so, boot into bios.
Root around and see if you can find something called USB Legacy Support.
If you find it, enable it.
Save the change.
Reboot, see if you can access safe mode with your keyboard.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

If by "copied", you mean "illegal or unlicensed", then I don't believe that assistance is in order from forum members...according to the forum rules.

Feel free to elaborate on what you mean, if you wish.

Louis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

My first thought was that colinweadick is using a pirated copy of Windows XP.
The rule here at BC states

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

My reason for responding as I did:

The poster did not ask for help to defeat copyright or security measures. If he/she had, I would have
mentioned the rule and informed the moderators.
He/She simply wanted to know what the deal is with the keyboard not responding when using it to navigate to safe mode.

I was simply offering a possible solution to that issue.
And that solution is based on the fact that it could be a bios issues, not a Windows issue.
The problem can occur even when a copy of Windows is legal.
When I had my other computer, I had to go in and enable usb legacy support every time I reinstalled Windows, a legal copy of the OS, in order to get the keyboard to respond when I wanted to go into safe mode or any of the other choices.
In the past, I've given others who do have a legal copy of Windows the same advice.

This is a gray area, at least to me. The poster admits to a "copy" of Windows, which I do not encourage anyone to use. But the issue may not have anything to do with that fact.

But you were correct to mention the rule, just in case the poster has other issues in the future which may be a result of having an illegal copy of Windows. He/she will know in advance that we cannot help with such matters.

I'll ask the moderators to review this topic, and decide what to do with it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2008 - 10:17 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

(I know, I know... but im broke!)..

This tells me they know it's illegal and they're trying to justify it

Topic is closed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users