Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spreadsheet Irregular Workforce Scheduling

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crlare

crlare

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

I am trying to schedule meetings amongst various volunteers at various locations. In addition these volunteers availability varies on different days of the week. Some volunteers have days off while others are working a split shift. I wish to identify those times and days that maximizes the most volunteers being able to attend meetings at a location. Has Excel a simple format that lends itself to such?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:24 AM

Tidiest way to do what you want, I suspect, crlare, is in Outlook where you can schedule a meeting and/or share Free/Busy information as standard functions - look up the voluminous Outlook Help files. But that suits the corporate group and may not be viable with a "mob" of volunteers.

EXCEL has a dozen ways of copying those processes, but these are all applications, not simple straightforward functions or formats. They all start with a database of availabilities. A spreadsheet might have hours down Column A, and "n" following columns, each somehow logging the availability of one of your n volunteers. I'd use the volunteer's initials in the cells of his/her column when available. Then Column (n+2) could include group availability.

If you only cared about headcount, that column can contain a COUNTA function. Pick the number closest to n for largest attendance.

But if you're fussed about who can attend, use the & function to collect a series of text strings of initials,like
=C2 & C3 & C4
or more tidily, =IF(C2>"",C2 & ", ") & IF(C3>"",C3 & ", ") & IF(C4>"",C4)
and even include some COUNTIF term to narrow the search in order to always include certain key people.

That's a bit of work to set up.... You might want to Share the EXCEL workbook with volunteers and ask them to keep their own column updated, and so use the same work base over and over.

Enjoy the challenge of herding volunteers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users