Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 im_not_1337

im_not_1337

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

I've been working on this hard drive for a little while now for a friend. Their gateway laptop won't boot up. It gets to the windows loading screen and then fails, giving the usual options "Boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, last good config, start windows normally, etc". None of them work. Unable to boot into any form of safe mode, last good config doesn't work.

Logically i thought the next step would be to try the recovery console and see if i can fix the errors through there. The recovery console doesn't recognize that there is a hard drive attached and won't work. So i thought i would give it a repair install (replaces windows files but leaves your data and settings alone). This won't work either as it doesn't recognize a hard drive. The hard drive is recognized in the bios, so it appears it is connected properly.

I then tried a windows live cd, ubcd4win. I've tried multiple windows live cds that work perfect on my other pcs, but on this one, it gets to a blue screen with the mouse pointer icon after loading ubcd4win and goes no furthur.

So things i have tried:
Recovery console- no good, doesn't recognize drive
Repair install- No good, doesn't recognize drive
Fresh install- no good, doesn't recognize drive
windows Livecd- No good, doesn't boot up properly
Memtest- Memory is fine as is all other hardware besides possibly the hard drive

I then tried a linux live cd, knoppix. This boots up properly and allows me to mount the drive, and i have view access to the files. The problem is, i want to be able to fix the drive so it is again bootable or so that i can access it through a windows livecd to fix the drive. I know i can just copy over all the important data using a flash drive and then try and format it from this live distro, but they would lose a lot of important information and programs and i'd much rather be able to repair it as they have a lot of data on here they would like to keep in various places around the hard drive.

Thoughts anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

If the data is worth $100 use this. If it won't revive the drive nothing will.
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

I think the drive is on its last legs if nothing else works try and get most of the data off.

#4 wombat_1945

wombat_1945

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

If the data is worth $100 use this. If it won't revive the drive nothing will.
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

It sure has solved some problems for me as well perr.

Making regular backup of important files is a must as well, then you will not a have to pig root around trying to save a drive that is on the point of karking it...
Wombat's: Bulldozers of the bush...

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

Something you could try?

Set that HDD up as a Slave on another Computer so you can access it.

Then either Burn the Data you need to save onto CDs or DVDs if a suitable Burner is fitted to the other Computer or Save it onto the HDD on the other Computer in a Special File, Call it Back up???.
At least your Data will be safe if all else fails.

I would do that first before doing any thing else.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users