Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Administrator Password

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:59 AM

I've been given an oldish XP machine. The trouble is I can't do much with it until I can access the Administration rights. The original owner does not know the password, how can I find it?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mandoora

mandoora

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

In most cases the Administrator account is not the primary (default) account. That is if using fast user switching, Administrator is not shown as an option by default and if using standard login Administrator is not the login name by default. Often the administrator password on XP machines that have been built for a single user will be blank or simply 'password'. (This is the way I set up machines when they are for simple home users)

If using fast user switching, booting in safe mode (press f8 during boot to display options) will display 'Administrator' as a clickable user choice. Then try a blank password, or 'password' and see if you are lucky.

If using classic standard login, type Administrator as the user name and then try blank or password as above.

Presumably since you have been given this machine, there is nothing of importance to you on it, so if all else fails, format and reinstall XP and choose your own password ;)

good luck
mandoora

#3 mandoora

mandoora

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

Another point to try if you want to reset the an XP Admin password is this:

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

One of the tools will allow you to change the Admin password to something of your choice. Obviously you should only do this if you do infact own the machine... don't go changing Admin passwords on machines that are not yours as you will likely cause great frustration for someone else in the future.

mandoora

#4 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the link, I will follow it up.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users