Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclock and update the firmware for 9800 pro?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:35 PM

In the results topic I see that AMD_XP2600+M overclocked and firmware upgraded his 9800 pro, or am I reading that wrong?

How could I go about doing that I on my machine? I have ati 9800 pro. Zero overclocking on both my system or my video card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:40 PM

You need more cooling grinler. Scoring 10,000 on 3d mark? You have to flash the bios! It can be done but you wont get the extra pipelines out of it but you will get the higher clock rate! Do you just have the stock cooler on there? You also get bragging rights when you put the xt insteads of pro in the sig!

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

I just have a standard cooler on the card. Standard cooler on the P4.

Something tells me some of the upcoming games (Doom3, HL2) are not gonna run that well with my current system

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:51 PM

yes it will play on the 9800 pro! At high settings as long as you have at least 512 mb/s ram. Why dont you just overclock your card a bit? like to core 405 and memory to 342. You will see a big difference! And you can run that at stock cooling

#5 AMD_XP2600+M

AMD_XP2600+M

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:53 PM

First you need to OC your card to see if it can handle the increased cock speed.
Second if it passes you get flashrom 1.3 and the bios file and put them on a bootable floppy it will run flashrom and you then enter the bios file name and it will flash it.

#6 AMD_XP2600+M

AMD_XP2600+M

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:05 PM

I was able to go up to 420/365 with stock cooling also flashed it with stock cooling on it got an iceburq4 on it now but it dident help much

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:13 PM

depends on which card he has! I know the saphire tech's are good! Whatname brand 9800 pro do you have grinler?

#8 AMD_XP2600+M

AMD_XP2600+M

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:17 PM

If it is BBA it can be OCed with the stock cooler.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:22 PM

I have the ATI 9800 Pro (the one from ATI themselves). How do I go about overclocking? That is one thing on computers that I have completely stayed away from. Overclocking that is.

Current have a P4 1.8ghz on a Asus P4T-E motherboard. Standard cooling there, but did use the arctic silver thermal paste on it.

My Card has never been tweaked at all. So its standard fair.

About the firmware, where do you get it and what else does it go? Just allow you to overclock it anymore?

Tips and advice are encouraged? Also, AMD what driver version are you using for the 9800 pro?

#10 AMD_XP2600+M

AMD_XP2600+M

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

flashing the card will make windows see it as 9800xt and give you higher stock clocks
4.8 cats beta
BBA it is the same that i have take the HSF off and see if it has the 360 core

Edited by AMD_XP2600+M, 02 August 2004 - 01:21 PM.

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

Grinler, He is using the latest catalyst drivers. Can be downloaded Here As for overclocking your video card here is a tutorial :thumbsup: Here

But all in all I recomend radlinker that you get Here

Dont go full thorttle and go all for it. The thing that is going to be holding you back is your cpu anyway.

I have the same card as well! Straight from ATI. As for firmware its a bois flash, a little but different from firmware.
With Radlinker push your core up to 400 and your memory to 342 and test a bunch of times to heat it up. Then raise it a little bit more. And so on.If you can get a oc stable core of 420 and memory 365 go ahead. But bring it up slowly. If you cant it's not worth blowing up your card, I would buy another cpu instead somthingatleast 2.8 with a 800 fsb if your moterboard support's it!

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:04 PM

So should I even bother with flashing my firmware? Or leave that alone for now? Would I need to take my heatsink off...dont really want to deal with opening my caser right now lol.

As for the rest,

Asus says my mobo can only go up to 2.4ghz (not sure what they mean by the + next to it) and its only a 400 mhz front side bus.

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t-e/specification.htm

I cant even find a 2.4ghz processor on newegg that support 400mhz fsb.

What sucks is if i went out and sported a new mobo and processor, i would have to upgrade the ram as well as I have rdram which noone really supports anymore and I odnt want to either.

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:09 PM

The + next to it is just that! As long as it is a 400 fsb it will take it! Here is one that is socket 478 with a 400fsb

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-116-152&depa=0

As for The card yes you would have to take of the heatsink and fan. Then replace some arctic silver to the cipset before putting it back on! Just overclock a little see if it helps!

#14 AMD_XP2600+M

AMD_XP2600+M

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:14 PM

412/365 are stock clocks for a 9800XT
I suggest ATI Tool to overclock it as it will find max core and max mem for you

#15 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests