Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 ecm3131

ecm3131

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

I'm only referring to Virtumonde because thats the name of the virus that the pop-up warns is on my computer.

On boot-up I get a white desktop with a prominent pop-up box that says:

Warning! Win32/Adaware.Virtumonde
Detected on your computer
Warning! Win32/PrivacyRemover.M64
Detected on your comupter

However, I used a "virtumonde fixer" I found online and it did not find that virus.
The malware deleted the system restore setpoints so I could not use that.

I have run both Ad-Aware (all items deleted) and Spybot (same, three corrections to the registry). But when I fire it up I get the same thing. I also got a blue screen that windows had to shut down due to a problem ("bogus driver") and I had to restart twice due to that. I ran the windows setup disk to fix any problems with Windows (XP-Home).

I ran HijackThis and have attached is the log.
I pay for results.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hello ecm3131,

However, I used a "virtumonde fixer" I found online and it did not find that virus.

What "virtumonde fixer" did you use?

Before we start, you need to realize that you are missing one important program on that computer: An antivirus.

This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world.

You need to install an antivirus program as soon as you can and run a complete scan of the computer.

I recommend you download the free

Avast or
AntiVir or
AVG antivirus

Products from all three vendors received the Virus Bulletin's VB100% award and certification for virus detection from ICSA Labs.

Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give you problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously!

We need to create an OTViewIt Report.
  • Please download OTViewIt by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Select "60 days" in the File Age box.
  • Copy and paste hijackthisbackups in the Custom Scans box.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here. Do not attach them :
  • OTViewIt.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

Edited by SifuMike, 25 September 2008 - 02:24 PM.
typo

If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users