Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 Or 64 I Think

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gvan

gvan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

Help please.
Kind of a crazy question, but if I have a computer with Vista installed and 4 G of memory, and want to upgrade to 8 G of memory, what is necessary to change??? i.e. going from 32 to 64 system.... or 64 system with only 4G increasing to 8G. The more I try to find out about this the more confused I get. I am considering a new computer, a core 2, quad. and the one I am looking at for $$, from Office Max, is a HP Pavilion A6544f, which says it has 4G and a 64 sys. What say ye ???? Also, if I get the XP pro "downgrade" offered free which system works when?? or is there a dual boot.... like with the 2000??

Edited by gvan, 14 September 2008 - 02:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

Both XP and Vista have 64 bit versions. You'll need a 64 bit OS to recognize more than about 3.2 gB of memory (although SP1 of Vista will show the full 4 gB - even though it isn't using it).

First, you need a motherboard that's capable of handling as much memory as you want to install. Once you have that, then it's a matter of using the OS that will support your needs.

A 32 bit OS will use the 3.2 gB or so of RAM effectively - but the 64 bit will use the whole 4 gB (but it has a bit more "overhead", so you won't notice any difference).

I have 8 gB of RAM on my 64 bit system - and don't notice a dramatic speed increase (due to other limiting factors such a CPU, graphics, and hard drive). But I can leave everything open and still play games without any appreciable lag. IMO that's the benefit of gobs of RAM at this stage - lot's of open apps without having to suffer from slowdowns.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gvan

gvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for that reply, I understand the computer allows the 8G memory, and is a 64bit sys but they sell it with only the 4 G. They do include the XP also, but I think it only allows one sys installation. Not sure about that. It would sure be nice if everyone used the same way of describing things. Oh well, I may just bite the bullet and try that new computer next week sometime. I just wish I felt more comfortable about it.
Gvan sends.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

I don't think that you'll need the downgrade to XP - but if it's cheap, get it so you can have it on hand (the biggest issue will be getting the correct 64 bit drivers for XP - that'll be extremely difficult).
64 bit Vista is smooth running, and it runs most 32 bit apps quite well (not including security apps).

Using both of them will be determined by the EULA. If you have questions, call HP Tech Support and ask them that question (don't give your name or info about the OS product keys). If they say it's OK, then go for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users