Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager Hangs/dvd Writer Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

I'm running win XP SP3 on a Dell 520 w/two dvd drives,one a rom the other a writer.The writer sudenly lost its driver.The computer sees it,I checked the filters and everything is ok there.I tried to reinstall the drivers but the wizard tells me installation error,access is denied.I tried to uninstall the rom drive and reinstall it to see if it's the drive or something else.Device manager hangs everytime I try.Task manager shows device manager as not responding,Also cpu usage jumps up to %50 or more and it is services.exe using the ram.The only way to end this is to log off.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Date: 9/14/2008
Time: 10:32:31 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BOBE
Description:
Hanging application mmc.exe, version 5.2.3790.4136, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
0010: 20 20 6d 6d 63 2e 65 78 mmc.ex
0018: 65 20 35 2e 32 2e 33 37 e 5.2.37
0020: 39 30 2e 34 31 33 36 20 90.4136
0028: 69 6e 20 68 75 6e 67 61 in hunga
0030: 70 70 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 pp 0.0.0
0038: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
0040: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 0000
I can't find an event log for the failed attempt to install the drivers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Try physically disconnecting the drives (both cables on each) and then boot to see if your system behaves normally.
If so, then I'd suspect that one of the drives has died. Try hooking them up one at a time to see if you can isolate which one it is.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

Tried your sugestion.The dvd rom drive is fine.The only reason I tried to use device manager to uninstall it was to try and isolate the problem.Right now services.exe is eating up %50 of my ram because I tried again to uninstall it,and again device manager hung.The dvd writer will run and you can access the files on the dvd,but it won't play the video because the driver is not installed.Device manager will actually start to install it, but stops and tells me installation failed,access denied.I really think it's something in device manager.I tried to reinstall XP but with all the updates,especially SP3,I get a message saying that the version installed is newer than the version I'm trying to install.I'd really rather not go through all that anyway if I can find an alternate solution.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

Download PowerDVD and try it. You need a DVD Codec.

Edited by cryptodan, 14 September 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#5 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

Not sure what good installing power DVD will do.The necessary drivers appear to be on the computer somewhere because they will start to install.I need to know-Why acess is denied,and why device manager hangs when I try to uninstall the other drive,and why does system.exe then start using %50 of ram and won't stop untill I log off?I tried system restore by the way and it won't restore to any points I pick.Plus I'm not sure at what point this started happening because I rarely use this drive(last time may be over a year ago)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

If the DVD drive won't install...and jumpers are set appropriately...and connections are proper...my guess would be that it's inoperable.

Go to Event Viewer and review all errors indicating "disk error" and referring to any drive.

FWIW: All optical drives should use the generic MS driver provided in XP...it's been some time that optical drives had their own non-MS drivers. My optical drives use a MS driver from May 2001.

Louis

#7 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

D/L dial-a-fix and run the repair permissions tool from the tool menu at the bottom. That may solve the access denied problem.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...ial-a-fix.shtml

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

The drivers for the CD/DVD drives are actually drivers for the controller on your motherboard - not for the device itself.
So the problem is either:
1) the drive itself
2) the cables
3) the controller on the motherboard.
4) the motherboard itself

I'd suggest switching the drive to another controller on the motherboard to see if it works there. If it does, then there's likely to be a problem with that controller. If it doesn't, then the problem can be anywhere - the first test for this would be a known good drive and cables to swap with the current ones.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

First off,thanks for your time and suggestions,but nothing suggested has worked so far.
Dial-a-fix did nothing.
Switched the cables between the two drives-the problem did not switch to the other (good) drive.
Physically disconnected the drives-the samething happens.
Let me reiterate a few things because I believe everyone is assuming the drive or other hardware is bad.I'm posting this under win xp, not internal hardware because I believe it is in the OS.
The drive works.I can insert a dvd,it will read the files if I open,but will not play or even give me the option to play the dvd.It will do the same thing for a cd except when I click on the file for the track it will play the song.
Whenever I log on, installation wizard detects new hardware,attempts to install,starts to transfer the driver files,then stops and tells me;installation failed,access is denied.The same thing happens if I go to device manager and try to install from there.The computer sees the drive.I already did the filter check thing just to cover my bases.
The other drive works without a problem.I tried to uninstall it to see if I would get the same problem reinstalling it as I do with the other drive.No,I get a different problem,it won't uninstall.Device manager hangs every time.Task manager lists it as not responding.And every time systems.exe starts to eat up ram and won't stop unless I log off.If I try the process again without logging off, services.exe eats up twice as much, and my cpu is running at %100.
I tried to uninstall another device,a card reader,for the hell of it.Device manager does the same thing-hangs.BUT,services.exe does not eat up the ram.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

Then I guess a system restore to a point where the issue didnt exist or to perform a system repair something you did may have caused this issue.

#11 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

see my post from yesterday 2:18pm

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Did you perform a system repair? Using your Windows XP disk and hitting R during the setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users