Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good questions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:33 AM

I'm alittle confused on a few things....all i can do is ask, right?
I have installed on my computer as of now: Spybot S&D w/TeaTimer, Micro Antispy Beta 1, AVG Free and Outpost Firewall. XP Firewall is off.

My problem is this; TeaTimer, Beta1, and AVG all want to "control/protect/monitor" my system files. Should I only let 1 of them or all of them? Can I let all of them? They all startup on boot, is that ok? When I scan with one should I shut down the others? When I scan with HijackThis should I shut down any of the others? I hope these are worthy questions. Thanks for any input! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:48 AM

Hi chevy, ask away, thats what we're here for. Very worthy questions.

Should I only let 1 of them or all of them? Can I let all of them? They all startup on boot, is that ok?

You might find a conflict between Beta1 and TeaTimer as they both alert you to registry changes and new startup programs. If you are aware of that then you will know whats happening. Yes you can let all of them run on startup.

When I scan with one should I shut down the others?

Thats not really neccessary. I regularily run AVG, Spybot and AdAware all at once to save time. Then I look at the results. If, say, AdAware and Spybot find the same thing, the trick is to pick one to do the cleaning and just close the other without making any changes with it.

When I scan with HijackThis should I shut down any of the others?

If your not connected to the internet you can shut the others. It just makes for a cleaner log as the running processes don't show up in the log.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

I feel lucky to have found this site. Everyone is VERY helpful and Knowledgable! If it weren't for the "good guys" here at BC, the internet would be no fun at all! Thank you Leurgy, for clearing these questions up for me! :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

Your welcome chevy and thanks for posting back.

One thing I would like to add that just occurred to me concerning scanning with one program and having others running. I have seen instances where AVG has popped up with a virus warning during an AdAware scan. This is due to the fact that there was an inactive virus lurking and when AdAware came to scan the file, AVG thought it was going off. This can also happen when you have a virus quarantined by another program.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:38 AM

I'm glad you thought of that and posted it!! Something like that is just the type of thing that might make me think there was a problem. I clear my Quarantines often so maybe that will help with that possible issue.? Thanks again for the help!

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:13 AM

Its always a good idea to clear your quarantines. You should wait at least a few days though in case you encounter any problems through the removal of infected files (unless your like me and you collect viruses). :thumbsup:

As far as one program finding another's quarantine, a few days ago I was using Pest Patrol and it reported an infection in:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery

Now if you read that line (without your eyes glazing over :flowers: ) you can see that the infection is in Spybot's Recovery file created when it cleaned the computer I was working on. So this is not a threat at all. So if you read carefully what is being reported you will have a better idea of what is going on.

Edited by Leurgy, 27 April 2005 - 10:15 AM.

#7 chevyusa1

chevyusa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

I see your point, and it's a good one. Thanks! :thumbsup:
You can close this topic if you like, I am about to post a new topic about Firewalls. Thanks again Leurgy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users