Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Elements 4 And 6 Install Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBN

MichaelBN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

Two days ago, I purchase Adobe Elements 4 and 6. It seemed like quite a bargain.

I have Vista Home Premium and had been using JASC Paint Shop Pro, which continuously "stopped working". That, by the way, will be another issue I'll bring up in the future. Everything seems to get its turn at "stopped working" in the Vista OS.

But, I digress. The mere fact that I referenced JASC Paint Shop Pro would give an indication that it's an old application as Corel, I believe, bought out JASC.

So, I thought I'd get something that says it works with Vista and went whole hog and got Photoshop. Elements 4 (video) and 6 (photo) were on sale together in one box, so I purchased it.

Here's what's happening. I insert the disc into the drive that came with the computer, E drive for me, and Elements 4 loaded just fine. I rebooted and inserted Element 6.

I waited for the autorun for a while and, when I got tired of waiting, I opened up My Computer and lo and behold, E drive, as well as L drive, an LG USB external drive, were missing.

I went to Device Manager and found that those drives had a yellow caution icon with an exclamation point in the middle of it. When I double clicked on them, they both gave the same message:

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

I clicked on "Check For Solutions" and an active window, looking for something, brought me to a window entitled

Do you want to send more information about the problem?

Additional details about what went wrong can help Microsoft create a solution

and the details read:

Description:

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 37.

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Users\minusthemusic\AppData\Local\Temp\DMIADF8.tmp.log.xml (minusthemusic is the name I use in my profile)

C:\Windows\inf\cdrom.inf

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I tried to post what was contained in C:\Users\minusthemusic\AppData\Local\Temp\DMIADF8.tmp.log.xml and C:\Windows\inf\cdrom.inf, but received:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, your post was too long, please reduce it

I did a System Restore and the drives showed up again, but the program was deleted.

As you know, once one purchases software, it can not be returned.

So, am I stuck with software that I paid for but can not use?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

ps Why does the formatting in reference to paragraph spacing look OK in my word document and in the post box, but, when the post is posted (that's what posts are, I guess), the spacing is much larger?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Missing CD/DVD drive
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MichaelBN

MichaelBN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

garmanma (try saying that fast one time),

Thanks for your response. It's much appreciated.

I'm just rechecking, as it seems to refer to XP in the download. This will work for Vista Home Premium as well?

Sorry for my less than stellar knowledge of the ins and outs of computers, especially the ins.

Michael

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Yes, it will work for Vista
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 MichaelBN

MichaelBN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

I was so hopeful, garmanma, but, alas, I tried it twice and it didn't work.

I would say it's almost surely related to the Adobe install.

Install Adobe, drives disappear.

System Restore to the point where Adobe was installed, drives reappear, Adobe goes away.

The Adobe packaging says that the product in compatible with Vista.

Is there another possible fix?

I truly appreciate your help thus far garmanma.

Michael

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

You can try removing the drive in Device Manager and reboot the computer and let Windows redetect them

You can try this other application similar to Doug Knox's
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

Or you can manually delete the upper and lower filter keys

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Edited by garmanma, 14 September 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 MichaelBN

MichaelBN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

I'd like to thank you on behalf of the band and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.

The upper and lower filter keys worked like a charm.

Thank you so much, garmanma.

By the way, who does your hat? I like it.

Michael

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

That's my personal wi-fi antenna hat
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users