0 Vista 32/64 - System Building and Upgrading

Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32/64

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:29 AM

Hello, I am planning to build a new computer targets towards mid-level gaming with games such as WoW, Battlefield 2/2142, Counter-Strike and so on. Been speaking with a friend and trying to decide which operating system I should go with. He is also an avid gamer and recommends Vista cause its new, different and hasn't given him an problems with installing games. I plan to have about 3 or 4 gigabytes of RAM in it, if I went with Vista should I run with the 32-bit or the 64-bit. From what I have heard it all depends on how much RAM you plan to use any truth?

Miles
Student of Networking & Network Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

More and more programs are being written for the 64 bit systems. I would check the specs. of the games you want to play
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MilesJ

MilesJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reply garmanma I checked it out and it seems pretty much all the games I wanna play will run on Vista. However other users reported that it gave them decreased performance cause Vista requires so many resources to run. I will stick with Windows XP does it really matter if its XP Home, Professional and so on?

Miles

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

If you go 64-bit with XP expect hassles, it's just not as good as Vista 64. Depending on the game and system specs, the performance hit with Vista can be extremely low. As drivers and software mature, expect the gap to become smaller. There are exceptions to this, however. If you want to check on benchmarks with games running XP or Vista, look for recent articles. Many older benchmarks with the RTM version have a huge gap. I say go with Pro if you are sticking with the XP dinosaur, it has more features than the Home edition.

3939.png

#5 MilesJ

MilesJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:07 AM

If you go 64-bit with XP expect hassles, it's just not as good as Vista 64. Depending on the game and system specs, the performance hit with Vista can be extremely low. As drivers and software mature, expect the gap to become smaller. There are exceptions to this, however. If you want to check on benchmarks with games running XP or Vista, look for recent articles. Many older benchmarks with the RTM version have a huge gap. I say go with Pro if you are sticking with the XP dinosaur, it has more features than the Home edition.

So with the future of gaming and gaming coming out in the future you would favor Vista over XP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users