Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Quality Varies For Different Users

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FattyC

FattyC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hello all,

This is so odd that i don't even know how to start searching the internet for answers. I'm hoping someone here can help us out.

I have a single computer running windows xp (all latest service packs and updates) with multiple user accounts (for home use). 2 accounts are Administrator Accounts, and 2 are Limited Accounts (not sure if this is important or not). We have an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 series video card and a Samsung LCD monitor.

I have noticed that still image splash screens that often show up in video games look crappy on both of the Admin accounts, but look great on the Limited accounts. Attached is an example ("my logon" refers to an admin account, "mackenzie's logon" refers to a limited account).

I have tried creating new limited and administrator accounts, but the image quality is poor for both. In reviewing the Display Settings, everything seems to be the same (resolution, refresh rate, monitor type... etc.) for all accounts on the computer.

I once went into the registry to make it so that none of the Limited Users can turn off the computer. Final thing i can recall doing is blocking all "questionable" web sites for Limited Users through my antivirus software (Kaspersky 7). These are the only things (that i can recall) that differ between the admin and limited accounts.

Any ideas of possible reasons for the difference in image quality would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

Regards,
FattyC

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:07 AM

Does the same difference occur on any other type of image, or only these in games?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:20 AM

Same settings for each logon?

#4 FattyC

FattyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

I have also noticed the same "fuzzy" images for the game Civilizations IV. Possibly on others too, but i can't recall at the moment (don't game a whole lot). It really stood out for me when i installed the game in my attachment for my daughter. Image files (such as pictures we've taken) all look fine, either when viewed through Windows or through other programs (such as Photoshop). I believe that the issue is only associated with games or possibly, other "full screen apps"... but what do i know? That's why i'm here! :thumbsup:

The settings in the Display Settings is the same for each login (resolution, refresh rate, video adapter, monitor type...etc.). If there is a difference (which there obviously must be), it is not readily apparent through the Display Settings.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Regards,
FattyC

Edited by FattyC, 14 September 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

Noi mean the in game settings.

#6 FattyC

FattyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Sorry, misunderstood. The game i took the images from doesn't have any graphics settings to play with.

Regards,
FattyC

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

How about in the advanced settings?

#8 FattyC

FattyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

Advanced display settings are all identical.

I also ran dxdiag for both logins, with the only difference being the page file, but i believe this is dependant on how many and what types of programs are open at the time.

Is it possible that this is some directx setting that has gotten screwed up?

Regards,
FattyC

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

If it was a dx setting it would affect all users. Create another account and see if there is any difference.

#10 FattyC

FattyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

Once i realized that both of my "limited accounts" were working fine, i tried creating another, but it looked the same as my current admin accounts.

Are there any programs that could possibly run a graphic diagnostic that could possibly indicate what resolution or what other settings are being used that you know of?

Thanks for all the help so far by the way!

Regards,
FattyC

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,908 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:42 AM

It looks to me as if anti-aliasing may not be operating. Maybe the video drivers only have full functionality for those limited accounts.

It might be difficult for you to know, but do you have any idea whether the video card drivers may have been installed or updated from within one of those limited accounts, rather than using the administrator account?

#12 FattyC

FattyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the anti-aliasing suggestion... at least now i have something i can start "googling". :thumbsup:

I installed the latest drivers the other night from one of my administrator accounts.

I'm going to try switching one of my admin accounts to limited and vice versa... see what happens. It's gotten to that stage where i'm willing to try even the stupid stuff to find a solution (i.e.: reboot 31 times while opening notepad after every other boot-up, for example).

Thanks again.

Regards,
FattyC

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,908 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

I installed the latest drivers the other night from one of my administrator accounts.

I take it that didn't alter the effect under the admin logon?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

It looks to me as if anti-aliasing may not be operating. Maybe the video drivers only have full functionality for those limited accounts.

It might be difficult for you to know, but do you have any idea whether the video card drivers may have been installed or updated from within one of those limited accounts, rather than using the administrator account?

Limited Accounts cannot make system changes such as installing Drivers.

#15 FattyC

FattyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

I take it that didn't alter the effect under the admin logon?

No such luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users