Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glitch In Windows Vista Repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ferrit

ferrit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:39 PM

My laptop Windows XP software kept messing up and I had to use the manufacturers (Toshiba) recovery disk and format the hard drive; there is no repair option. Apparently this is typical of systems that come with most computers nowadays. This got very boring after 3 or 4 times so I bought and loaded Windows Vista Home basic upgrade, since this has: 1) a repair option as well as a formatting option. After a while I got a new error "windows failed to load drivers because the system registry is missing or corrupt (error 0xc0000e9). On loading the repair option there was no operating system listed and "there was a message "if you do not see your operating system listed click load drivers for your hard drives". However if one looks on the disk all you see is a bunch of files and there is no obvious way to know which one(s) to pick. I surfed the net and found dozens of people had this problem with no apparent solution (including Microsoft help sites or forums). I tried skipping this section and repair achieved nothing. By luck I pressed the format option. The Vista upgrade disk will not let you format since there has to be an earlier version (e.g. XP) present. On getting out and going back to repair magically "Vista" was listed in the operating system box. On running repair it worked great and everything is working fine. It has taken me two full days to solve this problem. I am placing this information here so hopefully someone else won't have this silly glitch to deal with. Microsoft wake up!

Edited by ferrit, 13 September 2008 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Thank you for telling us of your 'trials' etc. It may well help another here. Thank you for your time to explain it to us.

Apparently, the repair option did work.

Good luck.

R,
Koan

Edited by KoanYorel, 13 September 2008 - 11:07 PM.
speeling edit

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 ferrit

ferrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

Well the glitch is real but my solution is a figment of my imagination. The system crashed again and the system repair would not find the operating system again. After another wasted evening I gave up. I have starting again and have reinstalled the manufacturers disk (Toshiba) that includes an Windows XP and "updated" with Windows Vista. If I have any reproducible success will keep the site informed.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

Toshiba recovery disks usually contain a "Ghost" image of the hard drive - so the drivers for the OS are preloaded that way. Unfortunately, this results in a complete restore of the system and wipes out any existing data.

What you'll have to do is locate the Vista drivers for your SATA hard drive (a part of the motherboard/chipset drivers) and load them using the "Load Drivers" button.

Let us know the exact make and model of your Toshiba system and we'll see what we can find from the specifications for your system.

Once Vista is installed, I'd suggest making a Complete PC Backup - either using the in-built Vista tools, or a 3rd party tool. That way, should the system crash again, you can restore the system backup (commonly called an image) and be back up and running quickly.

Edited by usasma, 16 September 2008 - 08:23 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users