Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telco Sues Town For Laying Their Own Fiber

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Telco Sues Town For Laying Their Own Fiber (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Side are You On?

1. The Telco (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. The Town (16 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

I thought this was newsworthy and was curious to see what the forum readers' opinion was. I will include briefs of the two articles and if you want to see them in full, just click on the links.

Ars Technica - Telco wouldn't install fiber network, sued to prevent city from doing so.

The small town of Monticello, Minnesota seems an unlikely spot for a battle over city-owned fiber-to-the-home. The town, which is a distant commute to Minneapolis, thought it could better attract residents and business by building its own fiber-optic network. After a couple years of due diligence, the town held a referendum; 74 percent of voters agreed to fund the $25 million scheme. The city sought the needed municipal bonds, but the day before it closed on them, the local telco filed suit to stop the plan. Its claim: taking out bonds to build a fiber network is illegal.

It's follow-up story...

Ars Technica - Telco to fiber-deploying town: we sue because we care

TDS Telecom, a telco with 3,500 employees and a presence in 30 states, is suing the town of Monticello, Minnesota, for trying to put in a fiber optic network of its own. Why would a company try to prevent a town from building itself a faster network? TDS tells us that it's really just looking out for the taxpayer (and its own infrastructure investment).

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

TelCo might offer to re-pave all the Town's streets? [joke]

Poor liars suit [I meant law suit]
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

I vote for the town.

We had a similar suit here. The established telco had fiber already in place. The city wanted competition, so they asked another company to come in. The old telco said, sure, but they cant use our property (lines). The telco co won. It was determined that the infrastructure would exceed any current costs. And, they would have to dig every major street in this city.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

I can see several situations where a municipality might be better off offering the service themselves as opposed to the TelCo. One such example is in rural areas where the TelCo's would not make much of a profit. Without the lure of substantial profit, some towns' IT infrastructure is neglected or not installed. Often, one company comes into town and puts in mediocre service and charges ridiculous fees since they have a monopoly in town. No wonder the U.S. is so far down the list on global broadband usage.

3939.png

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

We have something going on now between Comcast and At&t.
Though not a city wanting to implement it's own service, it is a sign of just how protective companies are over their territory. In fact, it's all about tv service. At&t already has internet service but wants to expand. I'm hoping At&t will be given the right to enter the video market here. It will give Comcast competition, and maybe rates will go down and Comcast will provide more of what customers want.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080824/NEWS/48874

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2008.../NEWS/809090213

In the case of the telco, I vote for the town. Healthy competition is good for everyone, especially the customers. Give us a choice.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

I'm on the side of the town. Competition is a good thing when it comes to the internet. I mean heck that's what is nice about living in a big city now, I got more options than what I did back in my small home town. Now I have the power to choose from AT&T dsl, WOW Internet Service, TimeWarner Cable and possibly a few others (those are the only ones I looked at for now).

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

I live in the NYC area and I hear only good things from their FiOS service. All of the other major metropolitan carriers are trying to enhance their own networks in the city now.

3939.png

#8 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

I vote for the town. To hell with the company. They have over 30 states of business. They are getting paied. As for the town. I sure am pretty damn proud they are putting there foot down and saying. Hey! We deserve High speed Networking too. we Plan on getting out of the old copper style and moving to a more advanced system. Good work Monticello :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Goldwyn, 17 September 2008 - 12:44 AM.

Posted Image

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

Update: The judge has tossed the lawsuit by the telco.

More info at ArsTechnica.

3939.png

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

The story gets more interesting. The telco is appealing the ruling

Full article: Too important to lose: telco appeals city's fiber-optic win

We've been watching the legal wrangling in Monticello, Minnesota for months now, since it represents in microcosm a larger struggle around the country between private ISPs and municipalities that want to begin offering high-speed Internet (often fiber) as a public utility. Today brought a reminder of just how drawn-out such disputes can become as TDS Telecom filed an appeal after its complaint against the city's new fiber network was tossed by a county judge in early October.

3939.png

#11 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

:thumbsup: ....Wha????? Why have I not heard of this??? I live in Minnesota......and I've never heard of anything on that.....

...then again, I don't watch the news enough....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

...then again, I don't watch the news enough....

That's ok, I don't watch my local news either!

3939.png

#13 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

I asked my parents about this, and they don't even know of it, so I'm guessing that it didn't make it to local news for whatever reasons if it didn't. If it did, then it was probably on some other news program that they don't watch.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

I have to say the town. The people voted for it and want it so the telco has no right to interfere since it isnt offering fiber optic service out there. just wish my area would do that. Satalite is too expensive and restrictive for my "normal" usage and Dialup well is dialup. DSL, wireless broadband, and fiber optic are dreams out here. Oddly enough I live maybe 100 yards from a fiber optic line 6" in diameter that no one knows what its for (Dad cut it with the plow a few years back and Ma Bell was none too fast in fixing it)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users