Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Has Internet But Desktop Does Not

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cobra_427

Cobra_427

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

Ok so I have my laptop for about 4 months now and i got a belkin wireless router for it as well. I have not had a problem until a few weeks ago. Here lately my desktop (which is running xp) cannot get on the internet. But, my laptop can and has no problem doing so. When i disconect the belkin the desktop internet works..

What is the problem im not computer illiterate but this problem has me stumped :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hi

I'm slightly confused by what you have said.
You say that your desktop works ok when you disconnect the wireless router. If that is correct, what is your desktop connected to?
Please clarify.
Steve

#3 Cobra_427

Cobra_427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

Sorry about that ok my desktop does not work when my wireless router is plugged up. My laptop is on the internet no problem. The desktop keeps saying the internet is unplugged. But, when you disconnect the router and hook the dsl up to the modem and desktop it works no problem.

thanks for the reply i hope this makes sense

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

OK

I think I understand.
Your desktop works ok connected to the DSL modem but not connected to the wireless router - is that correct?
How is the desktop connected to the modem? Is it via your network port or is it via USB.
I am presuming that you are trying to connect your desktop to the wireless router via your network port. Is that right?
Steve

#5 Cobra_427

Cobra_427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

Kinda when my wireless router is working it is plugged into the modem and the desktop is connected by a Ethernet cord from the router. And of course my laptop is wirless.

But, when we take away the wireless router (pretend its not there lol) and we hook the desktop to the modem it works fine.

#6 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Am I correct in assuming that the desktop is physically plugged in, but the laptop is running wirelessly?

To see what is happening, let's take a look at what IP addresses you are getting. Please try this with the router plugged in.

Assuming both computers are running Win XP, please follow these steps:

Click on "Start", then "Control Panel". If it says "switch to classic view" at the top-left, please click on that. Otherwise don't worry about it.
Double-click on "Network Connections". If the computer is physically connected, right-click on the "Local Area Connection". If the computer is wireless, right-click on the "wireless" icon.
Select "status" and then click on the "support" tab. What is the "IP Address" for each computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users