Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My system keeps resarting...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FRADesigns

FRADesigns

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

Hi,
Please can you help me/give me some advice.
My computer sometimes resarts itself, usually when I try to run a nortons scan.
I recently got a new hd, installed all my things on it and it was going fine, then one day it restarted itself, now it does it every so often.
Not sure if my son has installed something that has done it or if a virus has managed to get in or if it's a problem in the operating system.
I am running Windows XP.
I have run hijack this and it seems fine apart from a kernel showing up sometimes.
I am not sure where to look or what to look for but really want to fix this before I have to reinstall again!
Thanks
Ange

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:33 AM

Hi Ange

Here's my standard spiel on checking out your system:
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:17 AM

I have run hijack this and it seems fine apart from a kernel showing up sometimes.

HijackThis is not something you should use, on your own, to 'fix" problems.
It should only be used with the guidance of someone trained in it's use.
If you "fix" the wrong thing, you could do serious damage to your system.
Also, you could overlook a problem that only an expert could spot.

If you are still having problems after following Rimmer's advice, I would suggest you post a HJT log to be examined by our HJT Team.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated?

Yes Nortons is updated all the time manually as well as auto. I have systemworks and all other parts are working fine, I managed to do a scan after this happened, but it was 2 weeks ago now and it came up fine, I kept the computer busy playing cards etc while it was scanning in case this was the problem, but yesterday even keeping it busy didn't work, it restarted during scan.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed?

Yes I have adawares full version and it doesn't find anything, I run this every day.

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.

I think I have tried this and it still reboots, but will try again and let you know for sure.

If you are still having problems after following Rimmer's advice, I would suggest you post a HJT log to be examined by our HJT Team.

Here is my HJT log...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:33:59 a.m., on 27/04/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\NetLimiter\NetLimiter.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MemTurbo\MemTurbo.exe
C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\OPScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Tinkerbell\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.nzcity.co.nz/
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NetLimiter] C:\Program Files\NetLimiter\NetLimiter.exe /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Documents and Settings\Tinkerbell\Desktop\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Startup: MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\MemTurbo\MemTurbo.exe
O4 - Startup: SpeedFan.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://groups.msn.com/controls/PhotoUC/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{61A7DFEB-A7DD-400B-8493-C97E04CCB523}: NameServer = 202.180.64.2 202.180.64.9
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~4\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

I am going to try reinstalling nortons to see if that changes anything, and I will try running scans in safe mode and get back to you.
Thanks
Ange

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:59 PM

I have adawares full version and it doesn't find anything

Ad-Aware on its own is not sufficient protection against malware, you should install and run the other programs I listed as a minimum security suite.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

I managed to run a nortons anti-virus scan in safe mode and it didn't find anything.
I am wondering if it is more to do with Windows XP than nortons?

Ad-Aware on its own is not sufficient protection against malware, you should install and run the other programs I listed as a minimum security suite.

I have had spybot and adaware together before I reformatted but they didn't work well together, so after reformatting I choose just to have Adaware.

Am downloading other 2 programs now, will be back after down and I have run them both in safe mode.

Ange

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:57 PM

Try this Ange...

Open your Control Panel, then double click on System. Open the Advanced tab and under Startup and recovery, click on Settings. Under System failure, UNCHECK Automatically Restart. This should stop the rebooting on errors.

I'm not going to fully analyze your HJT log (I see you posted it in the HJT forum, follow it there), but nothing jumps out at me as malware. I suspect you may be experiencing a misbehaving app or even an intermittant hardware problem.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:33 AM

OMG ddeerrff!!!
Is that all I needed to do to stop it restarting! lol
I looked everywhere for a setting like that! :thumbsup:

As for the HJT scan the only thing that worried me was the kernel as I have never seen that in a log before.

Things seemed to have changed today though, I managed to do a full scan of the system both in safe mode and in normal mode (both came up clean) but this was just after I got a message on startup saying it was logging a nortons protection something in drive c.

Not sure if it is now managing to fix itself or maybe I need to reinstall nortons as this note comes up everytime I restart the computer.

Thanks
Ange

#9 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:05 AM

This is what it says Posted Image then Posted Image
Then if I go into see what this data error report contains it has the following two files and another one I couldn't open to save...
manifest.txt
The appcompat.txt won't save, but I can copy it into here if someone knows how to read it.
Ange

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:06 AM

Wait and see what the HJT analysis shows up.
If its clean it could be your Norton's is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.
I'd be doing a Scandisk and Defrag in safe mode to make sure the hard drive is OK before you reinstall anything, though. :thumbsup:

#11 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:10 AM

Thanks Rimmer,
My HJT scan was said to be fine, so I will do as you say

I'd be doing a Scandisk and Defrag in safe mode

Then try reinstalling nortons.
Thanks
Ange

#12 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:13 AM

The computer could be over-heating it is restrating itself to protect the CPU.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#13 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:19 AM

I don't think its overheating as I have a speedfan on and is currently running at 27 degrees C

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:43 AM

Do you have both Panda and Norton anti-spyware installed?

#15 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:54 AM

Hello there i agree with PC WizKid. It could be the cpu... you can change it in the BIOS settings. Sometimes it does it by itselfs when its not needed like "27 C" it turns off. Just take a pick into. And see when its supposed to turn off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users