Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry cleaner help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleVision

DoubleVision

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hi. I ran a RegSeeker scan on my computer as it was running very slow at times and it came up with 931 ( :thumbsup: ) registry entries that were labelled as the following:

Extension not used
Unused "open with" entry
File or Path does not exist
Invalid Active X/COM entry
Filetype not used
Obsolete Start menu item
Invalid Application Path
DLL file does not exist

Every entry that showed up ( of the 931 ) is qualified with one of the above labels.

My question is this. I realize I can damage my system if I delete things inappropriately. That is why I ask the experts here what is safe to delete from the registry clean up? Or do I leave these things in there. They look like junk, but what do I know? Something that appears to be junk might make the system work. Please advise me as to what the next step is. Thank you for your help.

(BTW..some of the results labelled above appear in black type, others in red type and some in green type. Do these colors indicate anything significant? I tried learning about this from the RegSeeker info with the program, but it didn't help)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:48 AM

Hi DoubleVision and welcome to BC

Any registry cleaner comes with potential problems. Can't help you out with the various colours but I would imagine green is supposed to be ok to clean and red is one that you need to be careful about with black somewhere in between.

What I find interesting is that most of these programs say they create a backup but don't give a whole lot of info on how to restore that backup. If you can't boot after cleaning its a little too late to figure that one out. Rather than use the programs backup, I would use the Operating Systems restore feature in that case as it does the same thing essentially.

What is your OS? Do you know how to perform a System Restore if something goes wrong? If you don't then you should figure that out first.

Basically, its your call if you want to use the cleaner. I've used a couple of them without encountering any obvious problems but a month down the road when you get a BSOD and your system crashes when your playing a game or something are you really going to make that connection?

Considering the size of a registry, 931 entries is not a whole lot as there can be tens of thousands and should't degrade your performance noticeably. But one invalid entry can.

Lets take a look at a couple of the catagories here.

Extension not used
Filetype not used
Unused "open with" entry

These are probably valid. But what happens if you install a program that has, say, a file extension that is not used now but will be in the future? You probably won't be able to use the program because windows won't know how to handle the file.

File or Path does not exist
Obsolete Start menu item
Invalid Application Path
DLL file does not exist
Invalid Active X/COM entry

These are probably ok to remove. But do you really want to wade through all 931 entries to pick those out if they are not listed by catagory?

My advice is to run the cleaner if you want and if you notice an appreciable increase in the speed of your system then stay with it. If not, restore your previous registry with your OS restore feature or restore the program's own backup.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 DoubleVision

DoubleVision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

Thank you for your reply. I have asked this question in about half a dozen forums because I DON'T know anything about the registry cleaners and I am not about to ruin my system. I appreciate your candid reply. Many of those who did reply to this question did so by saying, "I use these problems without trouble" and nothing more. I think I will stick to doing nothing at this time. I have used the Hijack This program twice in the past for stubborn things that launch on the system and won't remove, and only with the guidance of experts such as yourself. I just hadn't tried a registry cleaner, and that is what I see advertised all over the place. Just sounds like more trouble than I can bargain for. Thanks again.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

Best advice about the Registry:
If you are not, absolutely, positively, sure about what you're doing, STAY OUT!!
Improper changes, can cause irreparable damage!!!!

Edited by tg1911, 26 April 2005 - 12:17 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

I agree with tq1911 - I've learned the hard way not to trust registry cleaners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users