Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Prevent Bigger Problems (right Now Just Freezing)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm running World of Warcraft and for the first time in a year my game freezes for 4-5 seconds. Then it lets up.. then 20 seconds later it freezes again. I built my system (far from an expert) last year, around February and it's been running great.

My previous system had overheating issues (not one I built), I think it's this Alienware case I can't afford to replace right now. I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a more serious issue. So far only thing I'm experiencing is the freezing but it is consistant it seems unfortunately when I play the game. Otherwise, machine runs fine (so far, testing more now).

Please help review my specs below and my temperatures and recommend anything plausible I could upgrade or fix to solve the problem. I even tried putting a ghetto fan on the side (with the chasis open) to cool it down.. dropped a few degrees but nothing noteworthy.

What I've Tried: Completely unhooked my machine and fully dusted her down from top to bottom. Checked to make sure all the fans were spinning. Checked for any burns or cracks.

Processor: Intel Pentium Core D 3.4GH (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116255)
Motherboard: Foxconn 945P7AA-8EKRS2 LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186072)
Compound Used: Artic Silver 5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007)
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130256)
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 700W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002)

System Fan Temperatures:
Core (idle): 52C
GPU: (idle): 57C
Ambient: 0C (??)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Hmmm...the temps themselves are not necessarily bad, although they are not good either..."acceptable" would be a good way to describe them.

How many fans are installed in this system? That's a cheap technique available to all of us. I'd go 2 case fans (one inflow at the front bottom, one outflow under the PS...along with the PS fans and the CPU fan.

Might as well also think about a better heatsink/fan for the CPU...it's not expensive and it might save your bacon someday. To include a new application of thermal compound/grease/whatever.

Louis

#3 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

How many fans.. theres one exhaust on the back and.. that's it really. Just like I said I have a small fan blowing from the side.

Here is my heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134)

I just spent a good half hour testing it again and watching my temperatures via SpeedFan.

My Core ran up to 72C
My GPU ran up to 74C

I believe my processor cannot run hotter than 70C without there being a problem. Going to replace the thermal paste and see how that works.

New: Is it possible Speedfan is showing my GPU and Core temperatures from my video card? All my test temperatures are low and I noticed only those 2 temps raise when I run something video related. I need to find another way to view my cpu temperature.. I'll search the forums and post results here for anyone else that needs help with this issue.

Edited by Gunmeddle, 13 September 2008 - 11:48 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

The BIOS reflects the CPU temperature...no need to look for anything else.

I don't use Speed Fan or any other product to check CPU temps because I find that nothing is absolutely reliable unless it's directly tied to a sensor in the system (in the same manner that the motherboard is). Just my opinion.

Yes, 65-70 Celsius is generally max recommended operating temp for a CPU.

Louis

#5 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

Checked my BIOS. CPU is running at 11C and my System is running at 30C so they're both running very cool. Spent some more quality time on my GPU and it's running at 40C idle and during gameplay moving up to about 56C max so it's running beautifully.

But I have worse news.

The problem continued. My game froze and I received this 'screeching' sound, piercing. My entire system had failed. No power down, just froze and screamed at me. I restarted and 2-3mins later after booting back up it did the same thing again without running any game.

I run an error check for the disk and it freezes at stage 3. I rerun the scan and went to sleep. Now I'm awake and writing this before anything else happens.

I'm not receiving the BSOD and there are no error messages but heres the weird thing.

#1 My NVIDIA drivers are gone
#2 Windows is asking me strange questions like warning me before running exes (as if though my settings have been reset)

I'm going to try a few things out right now including no games or music for an hour just Stress Prime. Then I'll try 3D Mark. Then I'll try playing music.. I noticed everytime my system froze there was music playing but it also crashed during the disk check so I honestly have no idea.

As I said though there are no error messages, no BSOD, the system does *not* power down and it does *not* restart. When booting back up I get the normal Window options of booting from the last known good configuration and something about disable automatic restart on system failure.

Last few things.. I literally heard one of my drives 'slow down' which is the same gut wrenching horrible sound I heard 2 years ago when I had to build a new machine. A few moments after the 'slow down' the machine will freeze completely. And secondly the last time I heard that 'screeching' sound was when the RAM in my other computer had went bad.

Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Edited by Gunmeddle, 14 September 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

Until I read your comment about RAM...I was thinking of telling you to run Memtest on your RAM.

There are only two non-malware situations that I know of where Windows just runs off the tracks:

a. CMOS battery weakens/fails.

b. RAM has problem of some sort.

Now...your comments about these noises...I have no clue.

Hard drives make noise sometimes to indicate failure or connection problems...but nothing like it seems that you describe.

Along with the RAM, I'd suggest somehow ensuring that your PSU is not on the highway to hell. At least...that's what I would do.

Louis

#7 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

I'll try running the Memtest. Hopefully it is just a RAM issue.

I'm not sure how to test my power supply unfortunately. Is there possibly any software to view the voltage? PSU I can easily replace as well.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Well...it would make life easier if you can duplicate this noise with the case open...and know definitively the origin.

Otherwise, this just turns into a bigger guessing game than it already is.

Louis

#9 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

Well heres where I stand currently:

#1 No crashing
#2 No more strange sounds
#3 All low temperatures
#4 Random, infrequent 3-4 second pausing during gameplay as if though to crash but doesn't.

I ran memtest for about an hour. My cpu usage shot up to 100% but there were 0 errors detected. I'm all out of guesses and things to try. Thank you hamluis for offering suggestions.

Last thing to mention is Windows keeps changing my audio settings from 5.1 surround sound back to desktop on every restart. Not sure if thats relevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users