Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Here, I Needs Help With Conversion From Vista To Xp Home Editoin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

All right, well as you can tell I am kinda new at this. My brother was complaining about vista on his laptop because it was having troubles connecting to our home network, and he kept getting random errors. So i installed Xp Home Edition on his Gateway MT-3422. It went well, but it has some ? in the device manager.
The question marks were next to:
Other PCI Bridge Device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I have searched the web trying to find help, I got some of them to remove but i still can't get rid of the ones above.
So if anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Normalnorbert

P.S. sorry i guess i can't spell lol

Edited by Normalnorbert, 13 September 2008 - 06:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

You problem is you took a computer built for Vista, with Vista drivers for the motherboard and now you need XP ones which possibly might not even exist.
The only ones offered at Gateway support are for Vista. You will need to run a program like S.I.W.:
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

With it you can get the info on the chipset and the video GPU and go to their sites to find XP drivers
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

Thank You! Well I have gotten it narrowed down to the Other PCI Bridge Device, I just reinstalled the chipset drivers and the graphics adapter from gateway.com. It seems to behaving itself. (for the moment lol)
I'll keep things posted

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

Try looking in Device Manager to see if there's any unknown/unidentified devices there. If you find any, right click on them and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

The 4 numbers/letters after the first _ are the Vendor ID; the 4 numbers/letters after the second _ are the Device ID.
Go to this website ( http://www.pcidatabase.com/ ) and enter the Vendor ID into the Vendor Search box. In the next page, click on the link for the vendor of that device. In the next page, search for the Device ID and let us know what it says.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

Ok thank you for that info, I have gotten everything up and going, no more errors! It is working like new, it's a lot faster now it's on XP and not on Vista. He is a very happy camper. I thank you again for all your help! :thumbsup:

Normalnorbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users