Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sounds - Startup and Closing Jingles!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:38 PM

Hi,

A question about the sound on the PC. The Window's startup and closing jingle will not play ever sense I unwisely but temporarily had a beta program installed on my PC, Windows XP SP 2 OS. Actually it was removing the bate program after it was causing problems that it took the Windows startup and closing jingles with it. The jingles are still there in the Window's Sound Device but know matter what I do to reactivate them from Window's Sound Device they just will not reactivate. They are there but wont reactive! Anyone know a real solution to this that doesn't involve a total reinstall? Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 25 April 2005 - 10:19 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tigre

tigre

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

Hi John: Have you checked that the sound files are actually functional and also did you browse thru to actually select the path? Just checking. :thumbsup:

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

Hi Tigre,

Yes, I did check the sound bits at the Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel. Thank you for asking. They are there and work when testing them just fine. However, I'm not familiar enough with PC operations to know how to check the actual paths, I guess? They seem to be right where they are suppose to be in C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Startup.wav (and) Windows XP Shutdown.wav. Other than that I don't know what "path" to check. If there is more to paths than that please do enlighten me. I like those jingles and miss them when starting and shutting down XP. Thank you.

Edited by Johnz414, 25 April 2005 - 10:42 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 tigre

tigre

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

Was only asking if you had browsed for the exact location of the file you wanted after clicking on the sound you wanted (startup..shutdown, etc.) :thumbsup:

btw....it's "Tigre"

Edited by tigre, 25 April 2005 - 10:24 PM.

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:29 PM

OK Tigre,

OK, yeah I just did browse for them and they are where they are suppose to be as stated above and they work. Now just to get them to work when they are suppose to. If you have any suggestions for that I'd appreciate hearing that. In anycase thanks for trying.

John

PS Please forgive this btw for seeing tigre as tigra. :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 25 April 2005 - 10:43 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 tigre

tigre

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:09 PM

Just a random thought....maybe try copying the file to another folder and then associate it from there..... :thumbsup:

Tigre

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:53 AM

Your in 'Sounds and Audio Device Propeties' on the 'sounds' tab and you cannot associate a sound with a windows event.

Do the list of sounds appear in the drop down menu when you select an event?

Have you tried selecting a Theme to allocate a standard set of sounds?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

Hi Tigre and Rimmer,

Thanks for the suggestions but yes I've tried everything I can think of from the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties', "Themes", test the sounds apply and reapply, different sounds and reapply, even Tigre's suggestion of relocating a copy of the sounds involved to a different folder and then applying them from there (which I thought was a good suggestion), all of which one would think would get them to work but natto. Still just will not respond to reason. So I guess I'm still doomed to looking for a solution to this must be obvious problem that I just can't see for the love of me right now. They are nice jingles and it would be nice to get them back. If you do have any other ideas I'll listen. Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 26 April 2005 - 03:36 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

Download the attached registry file and save it to your desktop. Double-click on the fixsounds.reg and import it into the registry when it asks if it should.

Reboot and tell me if its working.

Attached Files

#10 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

Hi Grinler,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, downloaded the file and did as you suggested but I'm sorry to say that it didn't work. On successive shutdown and startup there was no sounds. Thanks for the try though. It's a tough little bugger for something that looks so obvious to be able to correct. If you do have any other ideas though I'm game.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:06 PM

Well that reg file that i gave you should have fixed it as it would reset you to defaults.

If you play the files manually they work?

#12 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hi Grinler,

Yes the files play just fine manually. Every attempt that I could think of from Sound and Audio Devices to reapply them failed. They are there, I test them all the time and I have them on the default Theme right now and had them on a number of different Themes but they just want to be stubborn for some reason. Unless I'm not getting something there they should be working. It was when I uninstalled a bate program that was having weird effects on the PC that the sounds kind of went along with the uninstall of the beta. It was some security beta but I can't remember more than that about it right now. If this helps great. It's kind of stumping me but then again I can't be more than a novas to some of this stuff.

John

Albert Einstein.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:52 PM

I am not sure what else to tell you. If it was all sounds we could go farther, but its just those two sounds leave me at a blank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users