Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Video Card Compatible With My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chowman

chowman

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hey! I wanted to upgrade my computer's video card. I have decided to purchase either the ATI Radeon HD 3650 Video Card (512MB, PCI-Express) or the ATI Radeon HD 3650 Video Card (1GB, PCI-Express).
http://shop2.frys.com/product/5579740?site...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://shop2.frys.com/product/5579750?site...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS620G, with an ATI RADEON 9200 in it. I was just curious, before I spend 100 dollars to buy a video card, will either one of these cards be compatible with my computer?

If you need any additional information, I'll try to post them.

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

According to the specs listed at Sony for your PC, located here, you have AGP graphics. This means that you cannot use PCI-Express cards. AGP is being replaced by PCI-express. You can get, if you want an ATI card, the SAPPHIRE 100238L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP. This card is the same as the ones you've listed but AGP. Or, you can get the more powerful SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP. If the specs listed at Sony are correct, you might be better off just getting a new PC.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

LOL...if not a new PC...a new motherboard is a lot cheaper and provides more flexibility for upgrading or increasing performance...and it doesn't have to be "brand new", just more recent than what you have.

What's the reason for wanting to "upgrade" video alone?

Louis

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:11 PM

Depending on the equipment, getting a new motherboard can be like getting a new PC. The new mobo might take different RAM, have a different socket (Socket 478 I think) for the processor, etc. With upgrades that extensive, it would be more cost effective to get, or build, a new PC.

Edited by DJBPace07, 13 September 2008 - 09:13 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users