Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Mac Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

I recently got a Macintosh PowerBook 1400cs that a guy was selling for pretty much nothing. The year of it is I believe 1996. When I turn it on, it makes like these siren beeps, and flashes a floppy icon with a question mark in the middle of it. I assume he erased everything off of it, like the system files and stuff that makes it work. Is there a way to get those back on there, like burn them onto cd and put it in there when it's turning on or something? Thanks for all of your help [=

Note: The picture on the top isn't mine, it's just one I found off of google to show you what the laptop looks like, the bottom picture is what it does when I turn it on, as you can see it doesn't boot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

Im guessing youre running OS 8 or 9. Heres a startup troubleshooting table.

Edited by TVT, 13 September 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image

#3 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

That flashing ? on a disc thing, means there is no system files on your hard drive, so who ever you got this off has probably wiped the entire drive.

You will need to find the installer disc(s), maybe try ebay or similar for an OS9 installer cd if the machine has a cd drive.

Apple used to allow you to download OS 8-9 from their website for free, but when OS X came out they stopped all that niceness and became a commercially viable operation.

#4 quickTutes

quickTutes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:53 AM

Get hold of a copy of OS 9.2, Boot computer from that disk and then run the drive setup program in the utilities folder on the OS 9.2 CD. Failing that, u may need a new drive which if u have a imac G3 or powermac G3 beige desktop, this proceadure is easy.

computer tutorials, internet tutorials, tutorials, video tutorials

#5 davintosh

davintosh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:07 PM

Get hold of a copy of OS 9.2, Boot computer from that disk and then run the drive setup program in the utilities folder on the OS 9.2 CD. Failing that, u may need a new drive which if u have a imac G3 or powermac G3 beige desktop, this proceadure is easy.

computer tutorials, internet tutorials, tutorials, video tutorials

9.2 is a bit too new/bloated to run well on the 1400. I used one at work that I purchased new in '96, and they originally shipped with System 7.x. I upgraded it to 8.1 then 8.6; I tried 9.1, but even with the RAM maxed out on it (max is 64MB!) there wasn't much room for apps to run on it. I went back to 8.6, and that worked really well on that machine.

Here's an article on LowEndMac that talks about the best OS to use on a given system; his advice meshes nicely with mine!
http://lowendmac.com/ed/moore/08cwm/best-o...-powerbook.html

Also, the LEM site has a swap list that you can join; there is a lot of activity on that list, and I see OS installer disks up for sale there regularly, usually for much less than other sites.

I believe Apple still has System 7 available for free download on their support site. You'd have to dig around a bit for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users