Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 0 Problem

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 danstar10

danstar10

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi guys,

Im having some major probs here. after all sorts of crap i won't get into i finally decided i needed a fresh install of windows XP home - so i have inserted my 'recovery' CD on startup and tried a fresh install.

I have 2x 200GB Western Digital HDDs which were set up in RAID (i think its RAID 0 where they act as 1x 400gb HDD).

I selected to install windows and it showed two HDDs with one partition of approx 400GB - great. so i tried the fresh install here. it reformatted NTFS - got to 50% after a while then shot up from 50% to 100% in a few secs. It then said it cannot install XP (cant remember the reason blink.gif ) .

Sooo, I then deleted the partition and made a new one which is now around 200gb on on HDD. I am unsure how to get the partition back to around 400GB which is using both the HDDs in RAID. The 200GB partition gets to 100% NTFS format as expected, then 'installs' XP - then it restarts its self as expected but when it gets to the XP loading screen it always gives a BSOD saying 'UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME'.

On startup it says the RAID 'nvidia stripe' (i think) is healthy.

Basically my now dilema is i just want to get windows working in any way - it would be ideal for it to work with the HHDs as 400GB RAID again but if it comes to it i could settle for 2x 200GBs.

It is possible that the HDDs (or one of them) are 'damaged' (or not healthy) but previous Checkdisk scans showed no probs.

Is there any way to get XP booting again with these HDDs as they are? Any advice would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

The RAID must either be set up before XP is installed...or a RAID driver must be inserted into XP install routine near the beginning (when prompted)...in order for XP to see the two drives as one partition/disk.

As for booting the two drives as 2 separates...basic rules.

Delete everything on one (attach one drive only to the system initially). Use the XP CD to do this and to create/format/install XP.

After XP is set up properly on one of the 200GB drives and XP has been properly updated...reboot, attach the second drive, reboot, delete and then format/partition 2d drive.

Louis

#3 danstar10

danstar10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:06 AM

ok thanks for the advice Louis. My problem is as far as i am aware i do not haver a RAID driver which it asks for as you suggest near the beginning of XP installation (by pressing F6) - it asks for a CD. Can i get these drivers anywhere if i do not have a copy?

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hi

The RAID Controller drivers should be on a CD that came with your motherboard.
If you don't have the CD then you should be able to locate them on the M/B manufacturer's website.
Steve

#5 danstar10

danstar10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

Ah ok i thought it would be from the HDD manufacturers site that i would need the driver.

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI the model is GA-K8N Pro-SLI.

I have a Utility CD that came with the motherboard and i tried it when i pushed F6 but nothing happened.

One more thing, before i try anything else is there a difinitive way that i can check that neither of the HDDs have errors on them?

Edited by danstar10, 14 September 2008 - 08:43 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

One more thing, before i try anything else is there a difinitive way that i can check that neither of the HDDs have errors on them?

Go to the manufacturer's support site for you hard drive and check the download section for their diagnostic utility
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Have you set up the RAID option in your BIOS?
Steve

#8 danstar10

danstar10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hi guys.

Great garmanma thats exactly what i need, going to test them now.

Yeah SLIX the computer was running RAID 0 before i tried to reinstall windows. the options havnt changed in the BIOS and when i push F10 on startup for RAID utility it says that there is a healthy RAID array.

il get bk to you on the condition of the HDDs.

Cheers

#9 danstar10

danstar10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hi guys,

I ran both the quick scan and full scan on bith HDDs and it came up with no errors. I am now in the process of writing zeros to the drives (fully erasing them) to as new condition.

Once this is done how do I create a partioion which spans both drives? as i said it was previously running in RAID 0 so no BIOS etc changes should be needed.

I have obtained the RAID driver from the motherboard manufaturer website:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=1883

I got the SATA RAID driver for XP. this came as a .exe file. can i write this to a disc and then insert it when it asks for a third party RAID driver CD (when you push F6 during XP installation)?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Although I have a motherboard with RAID option, I don't employ it. The only RAIDs I have set up involved a 3d-party controller.

Since you have RAID capability built into your motherboard...the motherboard manual should be your source of "how to do it."

But...take a look: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....amp;p_topview=1

As for drivers...XP looks for floppy drive inputs at the F6 point.

So, it appears to me that you have the choice of slipstreaming an XP install CD that includes all drivers (using something like nLite) or just going with the easy floppy inputs.

Louis

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

I fooled with raid stripes a little when I was getting started, I found then quite unreliable, part of it was bad choices in hard drives, other glitches were allowing idiots to turn on the computer when I wasn't there. It took me a couple of years to finally decide to abandone the idea. Modern hard drives are fast enough, there's no need to stripe to make them faster and double the chance of a crash. Actually I think it's more like 10 times as likely.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 danstar10

danstar10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Iv had these HDDs running in RAID for 3 years now with no probs (before this) so am keen to get them back as they were. Plus the Hds are quite old, 7200 rpm and 8MB cache so not that fast .

So, it appears to me that you have the choice of slipstreaming an XP install CD that includes all drivers (using something like nLite) or just going with the easy floppy inputs.

Louis

what do you mean by this hamluis?

Can i not just write the .exe driver to a floppy and insert that when it asks for it (F6)?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Did you not also mention that you have SATA drives...which takes a driver on a floppy?

http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstreaming_windows_easy

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

#14 danstar10

danstar10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

This slipstreaming certainly looks interesting. If the RAID drivers do not work from a floppy disc i may well try this.

One more thing... I just want to make sure I am not waisting my (and your!) time here... My computer was running RAID 0 before the re-install of windows. should i have to reinstall the drivers? On startup it tells me there is a RAID array which is healthy - and when i try install windows it recognises both HDDs.

I think all i need to do is create a partition which spans both HDDs - is this done thru the F6 driver install?

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

On startup it tells me there is a RAID array which is healthy -

that's your motherboard's raid bios

and when i try install windows it recognises both HDDs

It should only see one hard drive, something is wrong
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users