Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 akex

akex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hello Folks
I wonder if anyone with experience of SP3 could help me with this.
I installed automatic updates last night and saw that it was XP SP3. I didn't bother too much about it and let it get on with installing it. I came to start the computer today, and three times now, when I come to the logon screen, I type in my password and it tells me it is loading my settings. I then get just a blank desktop for about ten or so seconds which then goes back to the logon screen and says that it is saving my settings as if it is going to shut down. Then it prompts me to logon again and this time when I type my password, it behaves normally.
Anyone come across this before? As I say, I only installed this last night and know nothing about SP3 and all it's little foibles. I've tried the Microsoft site but can't see anything.
Hope you can help
Regards
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Can you log into your PC via safe mode?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

Does your computer AMD or Intel processor?

There have been issues with SP3 and AMD.

Microsoft has an update which is supposed to resolve the issue.

Update for Windows XP (KB953356)

If your computer is an HP or Compaq, read HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - About Windows XP Service Pack 3

Not sure if this would apply to you since you are eventually able to log on, but something to think about. The issue between SP3 and AMD generally resulted in a continuous cycle of booting and error messages, and not being able to log on at all.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2008 - 03:00 PM.

#4 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi there.
Yes, thanks very much for the responses. I am indeed running an AMD 64 3800+ processor on HP desktop.
Now I've just looked at your suggestions and both Microsoft and HP advise to install the updates BEFORE installing SP3.
SP3 installed automatically last night, it's already in. Can I do a system restore to before it installed, or can I remove it using add/remove programmes, install the update then reinstall SP3, or do I really need SP3 anyway..?
What do you think..?
Regards Alex

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Restart your computer and boot into safe mode.
You can then go to Add Remove programs to get rid of SP3.

Make sure you check the box to show Updates.

It is advised that you install SP3. Your choice on whether to install it or not.
I had the same issue on my other computer-a Compaq.
After I uninstalled SP3, I decided to wait a while before trying it again.
The update available icon sits in the system tray, reminding me that I need to install.

Just in case you need this:

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

The issues impacting some (those prepared by boxmakers, e.g. HP, Dell, etc.) AMD systems are created by the method used to install XP onto the systems. The boxmakers included an Intel file which creates problems on AMD systems.

It not an "AMD problem" but a boxmaker problem which manifests itself only in some AMD systems sold by boxmakers...they created it and they should have resolved it by now. Check your manufacturer's website.

Windows XP SP3 Problems, Performance Gains - http://www.osnews.com/story/19738/Windows_...rformance_Gains

Louis

#7 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for that.
It seems that SP3 is worth keeping so I'll uninstall it first, install the other updates and reinstall it. I'll let y'all know what happens
Regards Alex

#8 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

Ye Gods..! I've grown a beard since I last Posted (drank some beer too)
It took a while but it seems to have worked. I uninstalled SP3, installed the Microsoft upate (KB953356) then reinstalled SP3 and (touch wood) it appears I can logon as normal now.
Queen-Evie, Your Majesty.. I bow before your Omnipotence and wisdom. Hamluis I give thanks for the direction to the appropriate sites to gain a better understanding.
All in all I'm a happy bunny 'cos it all works again
Thanks very much
Regards Alex

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

HMMMM, I never associated myself with the word wisdom.
It was just a thought I had, so I mentioned it. I honestly thought it would not be the solution since you were able to eventually log on.
We are here to help, and I'm glad you got the issue resolved.

PS-Apparently you don't know that I am not pretentious. No bowing allowed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2008 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users