Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected But Nothing Works

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I have followed the instructions for the programs to run. On restart the adaware found nothing neither did sbsd. When i navigate in my internet explorer the focus is lost and a second window opens up to various pages. what do I need to do next please and thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

Thanks so much for responding. Ill have to post an update tommorow because im about to head to work. Thanks again for being so helpful here.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

No problem... I will catch up with you tomorrow. :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

Ok sorry about the long time. Hurricane ike made its way here and tore everything up. Just now got my electricity on. OK, i ran mbam once and it came back with the list that It found. I had to reboot to remove some of them. I then scanned again, it came up clean. However, a few hours later mcafee popped up about a pup trying to run, i clicked block and delete. Ran mbam again it found some more instances. So now im repeating process again with stinger,spsd,mbam.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

Please post the results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the MBAM scan log information, launch MBAB.
Click the Logs Tab at the top.
mbam-log-7-18-2008(09-52-04).txt should show in the list. <- your dates will be different from this exampe
Click on the log name to highlight it.
Go to the bottom and click on Open.
The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
Go to Edit and choose Select all.
Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose copy from there.
Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

Ok i think they have finally got my cable fixed for good, sorry it took so long. As before i scan few hours later I have a pop up from mcafee as blocking a program. Then Mbam finds again. Here is the log. Thanks for the help.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.27
Database version: 1127
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/19/2008 3:57:47 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-19 (15-57-47).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 145712
Time elapsed: 57 minute(s), 21 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{c85bd9f1-5b95-46da-9f39-979db6b58484} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\winmhv32 (Dialer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AdwareAlert (Rogue.AdwareAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\scrnsave.exe (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (Dialer) -> Delete on reboot.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Your MBAM log indicates some files will be deleted on reboot. If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you need to restart the computer so the malware can be fully removed.

Your MBAM log also indicates you are using an older version of MBAM with an outdated database. Please download and install the most current version of MBAM from here. Afterwards, if you encounter any problems while downloading the database updates, manually download the updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

#9 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

I had mbam set to auto update but i guess my firewall was blocking it. Here is the latest log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1179

9/19/2008 6:37:35 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-19 (18-37-35).txt

Objects scanned: 149705
Time elapsed: 58 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Files Infected: 22

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AdwareAlert (Rogue.AdwareAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\eofrsweb.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gvgyak.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kiqpfndd.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\zfbwdn.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\debugf.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\dfxp_cgi_msg.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\dfxSdkTrace.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\GSAEULA.TXT (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\license.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\links.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\mcerrorlog_0.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\MsnSetupLog.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\MsnUninstallLog.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\pihp(0002).txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\pihp(0002)_MsiExec.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\SID.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\brawny.bmp (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\codybanks.bmp (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\cybershot.bmp (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\napster.bmp (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\starskyhutch.bmp (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\webmaster.txt (Trojan.Extension.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

Rescan again with MBAM (Quick Scan) in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

#11 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

Here is my last scan. When it tells me i need to reboot I click ok and it reboots itself. However, now on startup, it popups a message that a dll cannot be found (C:\WINDOWS\system32\xrfhhqkt.dll ). So its still registered i suppose.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1181

9/21/2008 4:35:33 AM
mbam-log-2008-09-21 (04-35-33).txt

Objects scanned: 147909
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 27 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 2
Files Infected: 4

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IProxyProvider (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\bm6f778433 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\6c44b7af (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xrfhhqkt.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pskt.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\BM6f778433.xml (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\BM6f778433.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

It's not unusual to receive "boot up" errors after using anti-virus and other security scanning tools to remove malware infection.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

#13 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

Alright, i ran a scan after the last scan reboot, it came up with no infections. :thumbsup: i ran auto runs and unchecked all of the files not found. However i did not find the file in the original message. I restarted and it doesnt give me any errrors. Thank you so much for your help, it has saved me so much headache. I was originally going to wipe my drive and reinstall windows. The only other question I have is immediately after getting infected i was getting errors about "cannot create "somefilename.lnk" messages when i try to install any programs. It wont create the links in my programs menu or on the desktop. I can go in and send the link to the desktop but cannot create it in the startmenu. Any ideas on how to fix this. Thanks.

#14 spywareiskillingme

spywareiskillingme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

Spoke too soon, Now im getting errors on the windows explorer needs to end.
ppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.3156 ModName: ieframe.dll
ModVer: 7.0.6000.16705 Offset: 000c9637

Any time i try to goto my file directory to click Start-Run

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

I'm not sure if that error is related to any of the malware you had but due to the amount of infection we found, I recommend further investigation. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a hijackthis log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 9 there are instructions for downloading the HijackThis Installer and creating a log. This is an automatic setup version which will install the program in the proper location.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users