Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rom Drive Inconsistent?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RewindByChance

RewindByChance

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hey guys, I hope I'm posting this is the right section. If not, feel free direct me to the proper forum. :thumbsup:

I noticed a few days ago that my CD ROM drive seems to be very inconsistent. What I mean is, some CD's work while others don't. For example, I put my Starcraft: Brood War disc in and it works fine. However, when I try to put an installer disc for Music Creator 4, it doesn't seem to work at all. Nothing shows up in 'My Computer' either. I can hear the drive attempting to
read the disc, but absolutely nothing happens. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, and my computer is a Dell Dimension 2400. If you need any more information, I'll be glad to try and provide it for you. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Maybe a firmware update is needed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

Try cleaning the disk?

Water and soft cotton cloth (e.g., T-shirt), wiped in vertical/horizontal strokes (not circular).

Louis

#3 RewindByChance

RewindByChance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:39 PM

Try cleaning the disk?

Water and soft cotton cloth (e.g., T-shirt), wiped in vertical/horizontal strokes (not circular).

Louis

Thanks very much for the reply, Louis. I tried cleaning it and it still doesn't work. Thanks for trying, though.

#4 SH1NRA

SH1NRA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hey guys, I hope I'm posting this is the right section. If not, feel free direct me to the proper forum. :flowers:

I noticed a few days ago that my CD ROM drive seems to be very inconsistent. What I mean is, some CD's work while others don't. For example, I put my Starcraft: Brood War disc in and it works fine. However, when I try to put an installer disc for Music Creator 4, it doesn't seem to work at all. Nothing shows up in 'My Computer' either. I can hear the drive attempting to
read the disc, but absolutely nothing happens. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, and my computer is a Dell Dimension 2400. If you need any more information, I'll be glad to try and provide it for you. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Maybe a firmware update is needed?

Hello RewindByChance,

First, welcome to bleepingcomputer.com. From my experience in working with faulty CD-Rom drives I have found one sure-fire way of fixing most issues. My suggestion is to uninstall the Drive from your device manager, remove the possibly corrupt upper and lower filters, and restart your computer.

1) Uninstall the Drive from your device manager:
- Click "Start"
- Right click on "My Computer"
- Select the "Manage" option. Now wait for the new window to appear.
- Click on "Device Manager" (in the left column). Wait for the list to populate in the right column.
- Expand the "DVD/CD Rom" category by clicking the + sign next to it.
- Find the faulty drive and right click on it.
- Select the "Uninstall" option from the context menu.
- Continue through any "Are you sure?" prompts.

2) Remove the possibly corrupt upper and lower filters:
- Follow this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
- Be sure to remove ALL related filters:
- Upperfilters, Upperfilters.bak, Lowerfilters, Lowerfilters.bak

3) Restart the computer:
- I'm sure you got this one. :thumbsup:

Once the computer has been restarted you must give it a couple of minutes to find the CD-Rom drive and reinstall its driver. Once all is said and done you should see the drive under "My Computer" and all should be well. Let me know if this helps!

Good Luck
Brandon A. Babb | Murfreesboro, TN | MTSU
Geek Squad Counter Intelligence Agent
A+ Certified | Network+ Certified

#5 RewindByChance

RewindByChance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hello RewindByChance,

First, welcome to bleepingcomputer.com. From my experience in working with faulty CD-Rom drives I have found one sure-fire way of fixing most issues. My suggestion is to uninstall the Drive from your device manager, remove the possibly corrupt upper and lower filters, and restart your computer.

1) Uninstall the Drive from your device manager:
- Click "Start"
- Right click on "My Computer"
- Select the "Manage" option. Now wait for the new window to appear.
- Click on "Device Manager" (in the left column). Wait for the list to populate in the right column.
- Expand the "DVD/CD Rom" category by clicking the + sign next to it.
- Find the faulty drive and right click on it.
- Select the "Uninstall" option from the context menu.
- Continue through any "Are you sure?" prompts.

2) Remove the possibly corrupt upper and lower filters:
- Follow this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
- Be sure to remove ALL related filters:
- Upperfilters, Upperfilters.bak, Lowerfilters, Lowerfilters.bak

3) Restart the computer:
- I'm sure you got this one. :thumbsup:

Once the computer has been restarted you must give it a couple of minutes to find the CD-Rom drive and reinstall its driver. Once all is said and done you should see the drive under "My Computer" and all should be well. Let me know if this helps!

Good Luck

Thank you SH1NRA, I will definitely try this and let you know how things go as soon as possible! Thank you for the welcome as well. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users