Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 3 Installing Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimbobmel

jimbobmel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

I had a tech come to the house after SP3 gave me major problems. He took the CPU away and brought it back fixed except that when I check for updates on Tuesday a notice that SP3 has been downloaded and is ready to instal. When I ask the tech about it he says to ignore it and leave it as is. That is fine except that I received a notice that there is a critical instal and I can't get it because SP3 has to be installed first.

If I can I would like to remove the SP3 and go on about my business. It says that I can remove it by going to the add/remove section. However I can't find it listed.

Should I go ahead and instal this or just let it stay there and ignore the update notices?

Thanks in advance.
jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jonathan C

Jonathan C

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:13 AM

Are You using a AMD Processor?
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

SP3 is a critical update...which I know means nothing to many users...but critical updates come forth for PC security reasons.

The fact is that many users have installed SP3 with no problems, while some with boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, etc.) systems have had hiccups which should have been corrected by the boxmakers by now.

You cannot find the SP3 download in Add/Remove Programs...because you didn't install it yet. A/R P reflects programs which are installed via the installer route.

The update notices that require SP3 first...well, obviously they are of no value to someone and probably cannot be installed if SP3 is a prereqisite.

It's your decision.

Louis

#4 jimbobmel

jimbobmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

JonathonC.
I have a Compaq Presario with a 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Hamluis.
What I hoped to find out is if there has been a fix done by MS for the downloading problems.

Jim

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Take a look at this topic which will answer your question about the fix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169089/service-pack-3/

#6 jimbobmel

jimbobmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thanks everybody. This is a great site for people such as me.
Take Care

jimP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users