Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

norton or trend micro ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pujarpatel

pujarpatel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:15 PM

Hi all

i want to know which anti virus solution is good for protecting servers and desktops (LAN) from the incoming viruses.

Which one is best ?

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputers!!! :thumbsup:
In my opinion would be trend micro. But every one has there preferense. Just Norton somtimes has so many problems with it I dont think it is worth the hassle!

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:47 PM

The Pro's here at BP will all probably disagree, but I ran Norton for
nearly three years on two different systems. Every virus, Trojan, or
other malware problem I ever had, got through the Norton programs.
(They do not update quickly enough to protect us.)

I shifted to McAfee on one 'puter and took the other off-line.
In the two + years I've run McA I've only had one virus get in
on my system. And that was probably my fault.

I stopped using IE about six months ago and now only use the
new FireFox Browser. Big difference in speed, reliability and security!!
(I'm running MS XP + Linux on this unit and MS XP + UNIX on the old one
I know, I know. The UNIX will get replaced with Linux eventually.)

I run most all the anti-malware, anti-viirus checkers that this site
recommends. I run the checks daily, as I have kids and uninformed
on this 'puter. I've had no -zero - problems.

I am considering switching to a free-ware on the old system - AVG.
Just to check it out. If after six months or so I've had no problems
with it, then I'll move over with the main system to AVG. So far, I've
heard nothing but good reports on AVG.

Both of the ISP's I use now run anti-virus applications. This really helps.
I also have a tight firewall in effect.

The other platforms I explore, I'm very suspicious of.

Beware! Beware!

Good luck!

I should have also said that I've no experience with Trend Micro Systems,
but I've not heard or seen anything to make them stand out from the crowd.

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 August 2004 - 08:58 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Bobi-p

Bobi-p

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:35 PM

I have been using Avast for several months and have had no further virus attacks to my computer.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:05 PM

I promptly advise all my clients to remove Norton and replace it with AVG. I have tooooo many computers coming in with Norton fully updated and AVG finding things on them. Also look at Avast, I personally have not used it, but have heard good things.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

TREND MICRO!

#7 alexgtp

alexgtp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

I have been using Norton Anti virus corporate edition for my workplace for 4 years. Easy to use..easy to update with their automatic updates feature.. Easy to deploy to workstations vie the main server. and ease to administration.

I have not had problems until recently. It seems Norton is having a few problems removing and or quarantining particular viruses';' I.E. BACKDOOR.TROJANS.. SO I decided to run Padnasoft online scanner and to my surprise it caught a boatload of other viruses Norton did not find.

So it is probably safe to assume that using a good local anti virus solution along with an occasional on-line scanner are your best bet. :thumbsup:

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:44 PM

Thats my prob. I use norton that came with my pc and it isnt updated because the subscrition ran out. It takes forver to work and then doesnt find anything. Is there anysuggestions to what i should use that has free updates. I like trend micro online version but i ahve to be online! I ahve dial up.

#9 scott451

scott451

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:54 AM

hi,

you can download the latest virus definition from the web without your subscription being up-t-date. you can find them, for example, at www.majorgeeks.com (which is an excellent site).

the base question of which anti-virus to use intrigues me, however. i have been using norton for years and years with a sort of blind faith. i would be interested in a factual comparison of anti-virus programs if anyone know where such a thing could be found.

scott

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:28 AM

In the past I've used Norton (came with my computer), Avast and now I'm using AVG. Norton, IMHO is way too easily corrupted. It could never heal anything it found...if it found anything. Half the time it couldn't even quarantine viruses. :flowers: After Norton I had to get help in straightening my computer out and uninstalling the Norton. The only good thing I can say about that is I learned a lot and got my feet wet.

Avast was OK. I didn't have many problems with it. I liked it. I just wanted to try AVG. Now I'm with AVG and I feel safe with it. I hope y'all don't mind my newbie .02 cents. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:49 AM

I tried that but then it wouldnt let me install them. Your subscription is out of date..............Ah cork it computer! Soon ill have to pay to walk down the street! LOL hope not. Ill try again

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:50 AM

Well for me i like trend micro online! Really good!

#13 BasiXX

BasiXX

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:30 PM

Hi everyone I use MKS_VIR 2004 and its been a blessing this AV is very good.
now for all the people that don't have mks_vir 2004 you could download the trial from http://www.stormbyte.com also MKS has a new tool a free tool there new ONLINE SCANNER

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

As already mentioned, everyone has there favorites when it comes to AV's and it's hard to be objective. It's like the old debate (in the old days before the advent of foreign cars), which is better--Ford or Chevy. Passion for favorites--or what you happen to own or what you've had bad experiences with--oftens clouds good judgement.

There are many factors to consider when picking an AV, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Norton and Kaspersky seem to be favored in a corporate environment--KAV consistently has a high detection rate but is not so good at removal. But considering that automatic removal may result in legitimate system files being deleted, that may be a good thing.

I switched AV's around last Christmas and had a hard time finding reviews of AV software that was both objective and current. Find below links to the pages I've found--there's another good one somewhere but is lost in my disorganized bookmarks. Some of these pages haven't been updated since 2003 so keep that in mind:

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/a...dproducts.shtml
http://www.anti-virus-software-review.com/index.html
http://www.software-antivirus.com/index.html
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=59&mnu=59
http://antivirus.about.com/library/reviews...n/aa03tpwin.htm

cgm, you need to uninstall Norton if you can't keep it updated. AV's are only as good as their definitions are current. Don't rely on online scans. You need a resident AV to be more fully protected. This quote is from the last link:

No product will be effective if users do not understand how to use it, if certain features are absent, or if it has a negative impact on their system. At a minimum, users should expect smooth performance as well as on-demand, on-access, and right-click scanning.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:59 PM

Best car is...........sorry best truck is..............2 choices above ok.............dodge ram 3500 with that good old engine cummins diesel! Well you never said ok.....lol Yep you have to know how to work your firewall to make it any good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users