Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HiJackThis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 missmuffit

missmuffit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:24 AM

On the HJT tutorial you have here, there are a couple of warnings.... very important warnings.
On the basis of these warnings, wouldn't it be wise to advise the newbee to
never use this?

I have used this in the past and now feel very anxious about it. Perhaps
you should post some serious warnings about the use of HJT...

..... this is from missmuffit.... thanks.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

Hi missmuffit, :trumpet:
Welcome to BC.

When I first read your post I didn't think you understood the warnings. But after checking the tutorial I think you have a valid point. Not that a newbie should never use HijackThis at all, but that a newbie should not try to fix things in HijackThis without assitance--and assitance from someone who understands it & what it does. IMHO the warning in the tutorial could be worded better.

Now some newbies may be able to read the tutorial & gain enough of an understanding of it to be able to use it effectively. But I personally wouldn't recommend fixing anything without expert advice. And, newbie or not, those who aren't technically inclined should never try to fix anything by themselves. Wouldn't even recommend it for someone with a cursory understanding of HT.

Also it is a pet peeve of mine to see on some message board someone infected with some new malware that antispyware or antivirus can't fix & some Propeller Head tells them to "run HijackThis" without any warnings about how it's different than an antispyware & the serious pitfalls that could be encountered.

So thanks so much for the input. :thumbsup: And if you need any help with HT, don't be anxious, ask for help here on the BC boards. That's what they're here for.
:flowers:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 missmuffit

missmuffit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:52 PM

Dear Papakid, I thank you for your post, your honesty and your candid response. Such an attitude as herein made evident makes me and possibly many others have faith in these boards. Thank you for myself and for the others who may really profit from your response....
.... missmuffit....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users