Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connectivity Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

I can connect to the internet just fine, but periodically I will get disconnected. Soon after, I will be reconnected just fine (I know because I will be IMing people in Trillian and it shows me the disconnect/reconnect messages). I don't think it is a problem with my router, but it still could be. I had this problem in the past, and it seemed to have been fixed by replacing my router with a newer one. Now the problem has resurfaced, and I could be wrong, but two routers go bad in less than a year? I think it could be some sort of bandwidth issue... taking in more than the network can handle. The router doesn't say much more than "Microsoft", so I couldn't tell you what model it is. It's wireless too, but I connected to it through the amish-style cat-5 cable. The only internet applications that constantly run are Trillian on my machine and AIM on the other machine.

I don't know if I've given enough information to suggest any problems, but I'll take any input :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:55 PM

Does this happen only when you are using IM, or does it sometimes happen when you are doing other things on the internet?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:06 PM

I'll have to get back to you on that one. I pretty much always have Trillian open. I guess one thing I failed to mention was that, while I am constantly disconnected and reconnected, the other machine in the house will usually have an online time of numerous hours to days.

Maybe it's Trillian this time. I know that last time it was the entire network having problems.

#4 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

After killing all of my connections, I still lose my internet periodically.

#5 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

Anybody else want to offer any advice? Problem still persists and I haven't heard anything from this thread in awhile :thumbsup:

#6 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

I'm going to quote myself here :thumbsup:

webdesignerken, what operating system do you run? Do you have SP2 installed? When your internet fails, does your router display a 'Limited or no connectivity' message? If it does, then try the following:
1) Download, and run the Microsoft Patch:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en
2) Disable Media Sense:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxMediaSense.htm
3) Download and run the WinSockXP fix:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
4) Run the following commands:
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (does the same thing as the WinSockXP fix)
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh winsock reset

You may also wish to set up a Static IP Address, as many people state that this solves their issues. Just remember to restart your computer!

Try those, and see if any of it helps to resolve your issue - those steps have helped many people with similar problems. Good luck.

#7 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

1) Win XP
2) Yup, SP2's here too
3) Nope, I don't get a popup saying "Limited or No Connectivity" unless my router is actually off.
4) I also have a static IP address too.

Would your fix still work if all of the above is true? Or is this an ISP-side issue? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users